1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Wondering if you could help me out.
I have an 05 with 107M on the clock.
Both radiator fans will come on when the bike gets to temp but then one slows down and finally turns off.
I understand there is a relay for the fans, but if one is running then I think the relay is good.

Any thing else I might want to check before taking it in to have the fan replaced?

Thanks for your replies,

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Sounds like the fan motor to me also. Dry or worn bearings in the motor perhaps?
:agree: sounds like the bearings are warming up and trying to seize. I would check the connector for the slowing motor and the voltage on it when it stops while the other one is still running, if those look good then replace the motor.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:agree: sounds like the bearings are warming up and trying to seize. I would check the connector for the slowing motor and the voltage on it when it stops while the other one is still running, if those look good then replace the motor.

Thanks for the reply. How/where do I check the connector for the fan motor?

Thank you again,

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Be careful. I have an 03 with only 50000 miles. My R/S fan motor had the bushings fail and the blades went through the radiator. It's in the shop now having the radiator and both fans replaced. About a $1200 job.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Thanks for the reply. How/where do I check the connector for the fan motor?

Thank you again,
The connectors are at the rear of each radiator, about where your knees are when sitting on the bike. You should be able to get to the left one by just pulling the fairing pocket, the right side is a little harder to reach but can be done through that pocket hole as well. The connectors are the natural nylon color, slightly off white and have only 2 wires in each, black and blue, ground and power when the relay is energized.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The connectors are at the rear of each radiator, about where your knees are when sitting on the bike. You should be able to get to the left one by just pulling the fairing pocket, the right side is a little harder to reach but can be done through that pocket hole as well. The connectors are the natural nylon color, slightly off white and have only 2 wires in each, black and blue, ground and power when the relay is energized.

Thanks
Appreciate the information.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Radiator Fans

Keep us up to date on the fix....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts