GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Goldwing the right radiator fan has started to make noise so I guess time to replace how hard is the fan to replace?

Thank you Eddie Holland

·
Registered
494 Posts
Someone else recently asked a similar question. It turned out that he had a bird wedged in there causing the noise. Might have a good look in there first.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Someone else recently asked a similar question. It turned out that he had a bird wedged in there causing the noise. Might have a good look in there first.

Sounds like a Cheap fix... < "CHEEP Cheep cheep" >

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I when and look and I couldn't see anything in there the fan blade is at a angle and hard to turn where is the plug for this fan so I can unplug it till I can get it fix.
Eddie

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Well I when and look and I couldn't see anything in there the fan blade is at a angle and hard to turn where is the plug for this fan so I can unplug it till I can get it fix.
Eddie
It’s connector is under the shelter and right fairing pocket, near your right knee when sitting on the bike. You might be able to reach it if you remove the right pocket.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
I have a 02 Goldwing the right radiator fan has started to make noise so I guess time to replace how hard is the fan to replace?

Thank you Eddie Holland
It's been a while, but I'm sure I've pulled the air-guide that the fan motor attaches to without removing the cowl. Below are a summary of steps and tips:
- remove seat
- remove shelter
- lower and upper center cowls
- remove bolt that holds
- remove both small hoses under rad. cap
- remove 2bolts on top and 1 bolt at the bottom that hold the air-guide to the rad. (black, 10mm)
- remove the 2 bolts at the frame rail that secures the air-guide to the frame (black, 6mm allan)
- unhook the nylon tie that hold the wire harnesses in place, and 2 plastic rivets for the fresh air vent. Remove the fresh air vent.
- you might have to unbolt the white, electrical connector bracket
- you should be able to pull the air-guide/fan assembly up and out

When reinstalling, make sure the plastic post at the bottom of the air-guid fits correctly into its grommet in the stay above the head. Also, make note of how that lower wire attaches between the air-guide and radiator. And, verify your fan's wire harness is routing correctly.

Be sure to inspect the fan for any cracks or breaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys you are why this board is so good you help a lot of people out I had to take the top shelter off to get to the plug now I can drive it to somewhere to get it fix if I don't decide to do it myself.
Eddie

·
Registered
358 Posts
It’s connector is under the shelter and right fairing pocket, near your right knee when sitting on the bike. You might be able to reach it if you remove the right pocket.

Hello TechDude2000. Didn't see a way to PM you, so am highjacking thread a bit. Are you the TechDude that was on GWRRA board back in '97/'98 time frame? If so, I'd like to say THANK YOU again for tech advice you gave back then on a 1500 GW. I'd been having problems with misfiring. The local Honda shop has failed a couple of attempts to repair. TechDude (you?) suggested possible bad plug wires. I replaced those and never had another problem.

Eddie's (HolWinger - my brother) has well over 100K miles (140+k?) on this bike so it's been a good bike for him.

Ken H>

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Hello TechDude2000. Didn't see a way to PM you, so am highjacking thread a bit. Are you the TechDude that was on GWRRA board back in '97/'98 time frame? If so, I'd like to say THANK YOU again for tech advice you gave back then on a 1500 GW. I'd been having problems with misfiring. The local Honda shop has failed a couple of attempts to repair. TechDude (you?) suggested possible bad plug wires. I replaced those and never had another problem.

Eddie's (HolWinger - my brother) has well over 100K miles (140+k?) on this bike so it's been a good bike for him.

Ken H>
Glad you got good advice, but that wasn’t me. My PM inbox is full. Never been on a GWRRA board and only been a Goldwing owner since 7/2004. :grin2:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for feedback - Anyway, thanks for the good advice you gave Eddie. This board is amazing the amount of good knowledge that's available from folks like you, GoldwingGreg, and other fine folks.

Ken H>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts