GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the chrome radiator grills on yesterday. How could something so simple be such a pain in the butt? They have to be close to the most aggravating accessory that I've installed! :x

·
Registered
380 Posts
You are absolutely right. I had my hands all cut and scratched from forcing them in to install the chrome grills. Looks good, though.
[/img]

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hey Guys, I need more info, Dr. Rob and I plan on installing two sets next weekend. Send me clues!

I would hate to bust a tab off or even worse split the fairing.

Bulldog

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulldog, you'all are gonna have fun. Unless you have little hands, it's a feat to get them back in to the radiator. I couldn't find the screw they were referring to in the inner fairing until I got out my service manual with a better picture. Of course I have on the airwings which had to come off. Mostly it's a matter of :( Just How Far Can I Pry This Fairing :( To add insult to injury, the cable on the right dash pocket popped loose when I was removing the control panel. :x How do you open a locked pocket door with the cable disconnected? About 30 minutes of twisting, turning, prying, and patience. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
One hint, DO NOT bend any of the four tabs on the radiator. They have to be perfectly straight to go into the slots on the chrome grill. They bend very easy. And I cheated, after I got the grilles on the tabs, I didn't fasten anything else. I put the fairing back together and let it be. The grills can't go anywhere after you button the fairing up as long as you get the four tabs into all four slots on each grille. It's been over 2 years since I mounted mine and have had no problems with them trying to come off.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
My hands are the size of small footballs and work just about as good as a football. Sounds like we are in for a treat.

Bulldog

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bulldog, with me the right side took about 1 painstaking hour and then the other side just popped in. What a piss. That fairing will pull out pretty far. Have fun. Joy

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Joy,

Let us know when you can get up this way. Meesh and I would Love to have you and a guest if you desire as our house guests.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Chrome rad grills hit....

If you have trouble getting them on, fasten the tops and make sure the slots are big enough, then test the bottom. I had a whale of a time getting mine on only to find that the bottom slots had overflow filling in part of the slot. Cutting away the excess made installation possible.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bulldog and Meesh, thanks and I will let you know, it would be great. Joy

·
Registered
88 Posts
No fair!!! That's cheating! :lol: It took me about 45 minutes, but I used to be a fighter aircraft mechanic in another life. I do my best work in tight places. :twisted:

·
Registered
276 Posts
All I can say is if you "think" they are hard to install, you should try it with lights around thge edges and the wires that go along with them...

My favorite is the Oragne...

But the Blue is pretty too!

In all honesty, the more you can take off the easier the overall job really is. After a "few" times most of the plastic comes off pretty easily, just refer to Fred Harmon's site or your service manual as you work...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Difficult?

I know what you're refering to, but I must have held my mouth just right: took me about 15 to 20 minutes and one scratch and I was through. Just lucky I guess. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts