GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get to the antena connection on the back of the radio? I am wanting to install my satalite radio and I have a filter that requires me to plug it into the radio.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I see from you profile you have a 2006 so you don't get the easy connection at the back of the bike as its too small

SO

Remove both top shelter trims and the allen bolts underneath

Remove the seat

Remove both side panels and the 10mm nuts that hold the top shelter and unhook it

Now when we do this we can do it alone but first time if you have a helper it will be better

Have your helper grab the top shelter in the middle just below the gas cap where it meets the seat and lift

If you look up under the shelter you will see the antenna connection on the lefthand end of the radio it will pull out towards you its tight to get you had in there but doable sometimes we have to use needle nose to pull the plug.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
antenna

Thanks just my luck I don't get the easy one. But this helps a lot.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Its easy just time what do you need to plug in?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Thanks just my luck I don't get the easy one. But this helps a lot.
The one on the back of the radio is the same all years, sorta easy. The one at the back of the bike is different.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Are you trying to link the receiver via FM modulator what unit is it post a link you may not need it

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
OK read the instructions really not sure what you are trying to connect to the antenna

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
antenna

OK read the instructions really not sure what you are trying to connect to the antenna
The radio antenna and the xm antenna plugs into one end of the modulator, the other end has a cable that plugs into the radio where the regular antenna cable would plug in. I have tried without this divice and reception just isnt there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why don't you just run the satellite radio thru the AUX???
You get to that where under the seat right?
As you probly figured out, I have not been able to get a book yet, but is high on priortiy list.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The aux input cord is a much cleaner sounding solution for the satellite radio. MUCH better sounding in my opinion.

It is generally in or under the left fairing pocket. However, some dealers did not bother to install them. If yours is not there you can order it from Direct Line Parts (the sponsor of his board) or get it from a dealer. It has the stereo mini plug on one end which plugs right in to your satelite radio, or to an extension cable if you do it that way. The other end, if I remember correctly, plugs into a white connector, the connector is under the fairing pocket and not terribly hard to find. HINT: the pocket has push pins at all four corners. Push gently on the CENTER of the plug...doing that will let the entire pin unit come out..personally I'd order extra push pins when you order the aux cable.

If the dealer did not install the aux cord, it it may be in one of the pockets or even just wadded up under the left front pocket...I would check before I ordered a new one.

You did not say what power unit you were going to use, but you may find that you have a buzzing or whining sound until you install a ground loop isolator...available from Electrical Connection or other suppliers.

If you are just running on battery power, you won't need the isolator.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The aux input cord is a much cleaner sounding solution for the satellite radio. MUCH better sounding in my opinion.

It is generally in or under the left fairing pocket. However, some dealers did not bother to install them. If yours is not there you can order it from Direct Line Parts (the sponsor of his board) or get it from a dealer. It has the stereo mini plug on one end which plugs right in to your satelite radio, or to an extension cable if you do it that way. The other end, if I remember correctly, plugs into a white connector, the connector is under the fairing pocket and not terribly hard to find. HINT: the pocket has push pins at all four corners. Push gently on the CENTER of the plug...doing that will let the entire pin unit come out..personally I'd order extra push pins when you order the aux cable.

If the dealer did not install the aux cord, it it may be in one of the pockets or even just wadded up under the left front pocket...I would check before I ordered a new one.

You did not say what power unit you were going to use, but you may find that you have a buzzing or whining sound until you install a ground loop isolator...available from Electrical Connection or other suppliers.

If you are just running on battery power, you won't need the isolator.
Funny how sometimes you have to run into a tree to see that your in a forest.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts