GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I just returned from a 4000 mile 12 day trip from Maine to Arkansas and back, what a ride. My 2002 GL performed like a champ, however I am having problems getting radio stations. Not sure how the antenna wire is routed from the trunk to the radio and if I have a connection issue or a bad antenna or bad radio receiver. Has anyone installed a hidden antenna in the fairing and if so, how do the work. I used a Ipod for most of this trip but I am running a headlight modulator and I think I get a squeal over the aux due to the modulator. Is there a solution/filter for this? Thanks, Kim

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
The radio reception has never been stellar on the Goldwing. Most do as you have and use an MP3 or Ipod. The other option is adding a Sirius/XM radio to your ride. No channel searching and pretty good reception where ever you go. Canyons and tall tree lined roads are the biggest problem areas, but beyond that it's rock steady.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Could any of these suggestions help with the XM radio.... receiving very poor reception....??? My XM sucks!! on/off/on/off.. I'm constantly getting a NO RECEPTION message across my dashboard window...

Ronnie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
I have a ground loop isolator and a filter on order, also a hidden antenna, will find out soon. Kim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, will check out the web site. BTW, your picture looks like Rangley, LOL, Kim

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks, will check out the web site. BTW, your picture looks like Rangley, LOL, Kim

Does look like that doesn't it? Just got off the Appalachian Trail and saw this beautiful Honda abandoned.:wink2:

For those that don't really know, this is the "Height of Land" scenic overlook on Route 17, one of America's Scenic Byways, in the Rangley lakes area Specifically looking west at Mooselookmeguntic Lake. It is in fact a road crossing of the AT and is just down the road from the 45th parallel - halfway between the equator and the North Pole.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Ground Loop Isolator is good advice. In at least one application I have even ran two of these on one line to suppress noise.

As far as Sirius/XM, even here on the West coast the signal drops out far too often. This is with the large "house" antenna on the bike!
I use the system now only for stationary reception. Office, Game room at home and Garage. My receiver is portable. But on the road it's quite a disappointment.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Could any of these suggestions help with the XM radio.... receiving very poor reception....??? My XM sucks!! on/off/on/off.. I'm constantly getting a NO RECEPTION message across my dashboard window...

Ronnie
Where's the antenna located? On models that have it installed from the factory, the issue is antenna location. They tend to hide them inside the fairing or trunk, thus the signal gets blocked very easily. If you get another antenna and mount it up by the dash with a clear view of the sky, then connect it where the factory unit is plugged in, you'll find your reception is greatly improved. The only place my signal suffers is in deep canyons and where the road is closely lined with tall trees. Any tall feature close to the road that blocks the view to Southern sky will create a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts