GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry for the dumb question. I traded my 96 1500 for a new 08 Airbag Titanium a couple of months ago. On the 1500 I would leave the radio on while working around the garage or whatever, and no issue on the battery, I notice the 1800 radio seems to have more power, would this cause a faster drain on the battery?

Thank you

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't have the answer you seek, but not wanting to sound like a smart aleck, why not just buy a radio for the shop, also a TV and DVD player to work on the bike with Fred's set of DVD's? Works great for me, keeps me out of the little ladies hair most of the time too, that's good for both of us!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . . why not just buy a radio for the shop, also a TV and DVD player to work on the bike with Fred's set of DVD's? . . .
Wish I had a "shop". Some of us don't you know! I park mine under a weather proof shelter on the side of the house, so if I want to listen to radio stations, I have to use the bike's radio. I think the answer is "YES", the 2009 will use more juice, esp. because of the extra rear speakers. But I don't think you have to worry about this unless you leave the radio on for more than 5 hours at a time. I have used the radio for up to 3 hours with no problem. Riding the bike for at least 30 minutes will easily replentish the battery in such a case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a battery tender that I have hooked to the bike. You could use the radio and not worry because the tender will charge it so it won't run down.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a battery tender that I have hooked to the bike. You could use the radio and not worry because the tender will charge it so it won't run down.
That may be your experience, but the few times I have inadvertently left the ignition in the accessory position overnight even with the tender attached and running, the battery was unable to keep the headlights lit or start the bike. YMMV

·
Registered
581 Posts
That may be your experience, but the few times I have inadvertently left the ignition in the accessory position overnight even with the tender attached and running, the battery was unable to keep the headlights lit or start the bike. YMMV
I've never left the ignition on accessory overnight, but I have had the radio on for a couple of hours while working in the garage. Your probably right because I don't believe the tender is intended to charge a battery that is low, only maintain a battery already charged.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
NetworkMD
To answer your question, Yes the radio will drain the battery faster than a 1500 will because your 08 is driving not just the radio but also an amp as well. How long will it last, Not sure ? but I would guess it should be good for a few hours at least.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Listening to the radio while cleaning the bike will indeed run the battery down...happened to me the first year after about 2.5 hours or so of listening to the radio while detailing the bike...bike wouldn't start, charged the battery and all was well again... never did that again. Still have the OEM battery in my 03.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Even if it doesn't drain the battery far enough to keep it from starting, deep discharging the battery is not good for it.

Get a boom box.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used to listen to the radio all day long on my 1500
Tried it with my 08 1800 when I got it and the battery
ran down after about 3-hrs...I have the navi and the
screen is on when ignition is on accesories....that and
the amp is too much I guess.
I have a nice sound system in the garage, so I
just use that...still miss using the bike sound system,
and get a little nervous using it when parked, out on a ride.
So I try to limit the use while parked to about an hour.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Even if it doesn't drain the battery far enough to keep it from starting, deep discharging the battery is not good for it.

Get a boom box.
Correct. Nor is it smart or good operating practice to use the vehicle's alternator to restore a badly discharged battery. It's designed only to carry the electrical load of the bike when it's running, not to be used as a battery charger. Using it that way is asking for early alternator demise.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a 2007 ABS and had an ammeter on the bike for a while.

When on accessory, the bike drew about 5 amps. Not sure what all was on besides the radio.

Since a Battery Tender only puts out about 1.5 amps, the battery would still drain if you were listening to the radio even with the Tender attached.

Best bet might be to consider buying a portable radio.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
5 amps is really high. Most head units will pull less than 1/2 amp at idle. The vast majority of power amps will also idle at about 1/2 amp. There must be many other things running in accessory mode.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I work with Batteries all day and batteries don't like large change in there voltages. it make the lead plates buckle in side. They will short out and battery votage will drop out for good. The new AGM batteries are more forgiven but thay also don't like large votage changes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all, the three hours was about what I was thinking. I also have a tender on the battery when I cannot ride for several days.

Yes I have a sound system in the garage, I was thinking of leaving the radio on while at a park etc... when just relaxing

:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
You wouldn't see me running the radio on the Wing for three hours in the park. That is a good way to potentially ruin a good relaxing afternoon.

I wouldn't even do that in a car, and a car battery's amp/hr rating is at least 4 times that of the 18 amp/hr battery in the Wing. Everyone tends to relate this bike more to a car than a motorcycle, but you have to remember that even with all its car like features, the Wing still has a relatively low capacity motorcycle battery. That is not to mention that the only time a battery will ever meet its amp/hr rating is when it is brand new.

This is not to say that people don't do this and get away with it quite often. But I look at it this way. I am relying on that battery to get me home as much as I rely on the engine. I won't do anything that will reduce that chance. Whether that is overly cautious is open to debate. But in answer to your question, I say either put up with silence, or find a different way to get your music. A small boom box will fit in the trunk quite easily.

This is one of the reasons why Honda does not have the emergency flashers wired to operate without the ignition on. (much to the dismay of some people) Unlike in a car, they would kill the battery very quickly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts