GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to pick the brain of all u technology whizzes I know frequent this board. I have a non-m/c issue but I do own an 1800.
I have a VHF radio I am using on an airboat. My problem I just installed a set of cordless headphones from radio shack on this radio. While the boat in not runnung the sound could not be better, however when i crank the engine i get quite a bit interference, this engine has both magnetos and an alternator, what can i use as a trap for this interference. THANKS :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know nothing about marine engines, but I do know that cars have spark plugs with built-in resistors to help cut RFI (radio frequency interference). You might see if you have resistor plugs in the boat engine now. If not, try some. A resistor plug should have the letter "R" in the part number prefix.

R

·
0 Posts
noise

when i lived in south fl for forty years i built and used airboats for thirty of those years, if you are using a aircraft engine you need to have shielded wires and air craft plugs. if you are using an auto engine you need the shielded wires and resistor plugs.

I

·
0 Posts
Radio Interference

Hi Bobby:

Probably your first mistake was buying Radio Shack stuff. It isn't very RF rejection tolerant...as in cheap stuff. Sorry...facts is facts.

As a amature radio guy (N8OCT), I guess I can offer some comments that have merit, but I am a long way from being an expert. I have had many boats, and all automotive type marine engines use good plug RF shielded wires and spark plugs that reduce RF interference. Your airboat engine may well not have such ignition suppression, especially if it was built up as "high performance" which it sounds like it is if you have 2 mags, rather than a conventional automotive ignition system.

You may well be up against wall trying to get noise out of that Shack wireless headphone system with that powerplant. As suggested by a couple others on this board, try good marine RF reducing plug wires and resistor plugs if you don't have them already. If that doesn't work, you can well drive yourself nuts trying to "trap" that stuff out. Be sure everything is well grounded, but even that may not help.

Otherwise..Good Luck. You may have to go hard wired, and if you do, use well shielded cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts