GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing a problem on my 2006 Radio. The bike has a little over 113K miles.
When tuning the ignition on, normally the panel lights up for the radio, but not always. Most times lately the panel is blank. The clock is working and the information comes up when pushing the button,. but no radio display or sound.
It seems like something in the ignition switch. If I give the key a good wiggle as I put it in, sometime everything works.
Anyone else experience this????

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had the cover off lately? I wonder if it could be a connection under the hood?
No, not lately. Was doing it once in awhile, but now it's more common. Seems like something in the ignition switch itself.
If I just turn the key to on sometimes the radio works and sometimes but more often now the panel is blank. When this happens I flip it off, pull the key, and insert again with a good wiggle, and it works. I even tried my spare key just to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just read and article about symptoms of a bad ignition switch and one of the symptoms was accessories working on ACC but being intermittent when the key is ON. Sounds like there is a good chance your diagnosis is right.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have the flakey radio issue resolved. I read through a bunch of posts on the radio not working, and found one that said if you have a MP3 player installed on the CD port, it can cause the radio to freeze up. So...... I unplugged the MP3 player and so far the radio is working!! Seemed like the ignition switch, but it wasn't.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did you disconnect the MP3 player at the player or at the connector under the seat?

I had some issues with my MP3 player on my '03 at one time. I disconnected the MP3 player at the connector under the seat. I separated the two connectors, sprayed some CRC electronic contact cleaner in them, blew them out with air. I applied some Deoxit Contact Cleaner by Caig Industries to the contacts and wiped them all with a pipe cleaner. I reconnected them and never had an issue after that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disconnected at the player. I'll have to look into messing with the other end sometime in the future....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts