GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cutting the key off and putting it in the knob. What would you use to glue it in?

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
Double sided tape..

Mattbcnv

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
JB weld is great for this. A lot of other options will work just fine I'm sure, as I also use double side tape a lot, but for a heck of a lot of homemade tools, repairs requiring a nice hard filler ect, JB weld is tops in my book. My wife and I was just talking of this, and she wishes she had pictures of everything I've built and repaired using JB weld, as the number is well over 100. Have to know where it works and doesn't like with any other product of course.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Cutting the key off and putting it in the knob. What would you use to glue it in?
As others said, J-B Weld would work. I'd also consider fresh 100% silicone silicone seal, the advantage being you could squeeze it into the slot (which you couldn't do with J-B).

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
711 Posts
I potted mine in the knob with 2 part epoxy.
What would stop somebody from pulling that knob/key out, inserting it into the ignition, and starting your bike? When somebody first mentioned this idea of a key with a knob top (I think it had to do with the gas cap access panel when I read it) I assumed they'd do what you did with the key and knob BUT THEN glue the key shaft into the lock permanently.

:confused:
Or did I overlook something? What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The cut off key is too short to start the bike. For those who want something to worry about, I suppose it could be stolen, cut away from the epoxy, and a key then cut that would start the bike. The bike can also be loaded on a slide back wrecker and stolen a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The cut off key is too short to start the bike. For those who want something to worry about, I suppose it could be stolen, cut away from the epoxy, and a key then cut that would start the bike. The bike can also be loaded on a slide back wrecker and stolen a lot easier.
What he said. The key with the knob is too short to use in the ignition. I verified it. It can’t start the bike.

I was going make 2. One for the glove box and the other for the gas cap lid. I decided I didn’t care for the look on the gas cap lid and just have the one on the glove box latch. I just pull it out and use it on the gas lid when filling up. That allows me to turn my bike off to the right hand position keeping my radio and gps on while shutting off the bike.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I used JB Weld years ago and it still working fine. The knob will not fit into the ignition because the key is too short.

Reactions: Bluehighways

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Another fan of JB Weld here. I also potted mine just long enough to work on the Gas Door but to short to work as an Ignition Key.

It also doubles as an excellent route sheet holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I use GOOP Adhesive.. Have done this on 3 bikes over the years.

I still remove them when parked. Had one stolen. I wonder how the dude knew it was a key under the knob. Even if he did know, it wouldn't work in the ignition like that.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think this is one of the best and easiest mods I have done to my bike, especially since it costs less than $20! Like everyone said you can't start the bike with it so I just leave it in all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just an fyi. For those questioning why the radio key mod wont work in the ignition, when the key is cut and fitted in the radio knob, it should fit flush in either the gas door lock or glove box lock. In order for the ignition lock to turn, you first have to push down and then you can turn the key. The glued on radio knob prevents the key from being able to be pushed down and therefore it wont be able to turn in the ignition lock. And it will be too short to fit into the trunk lock so the trunk and saddlebags aee still secure as well as long as they were locked in the first place.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've done this to both my GW trike and the F6B about 3 years ago utilizing the appropriate radio knobs for the model.
I did it for both the gas cap cover and the cubby lock on both machines, along with the saddlebag lock on the F6B.
I used Gorilla glue and, so far, they all seem to be holding up ok.
However, IF I had to do em again, I'd probably pot em with 2-part epoxy once I had the right dimension/fit like Zee Fifty did in his above post.
FWIW, IF I park the bike where it's possible to be tampered with, I'll pull those out and lock em up in the cubby pocket. Then, just use the ignition key to retrieve them.
Where I find these most handy is when fueling up the bike. Two things that I always hated most at a fuel stop was having to pull the ignition key to unlock the gas cap cover. That, and those dag gum headset cords.
I was forever accidentally pulling out and eventually destroying those cords. Finally went with this knob/key mod and went completely bluetooth on the headset. Those mods put an end to all that BS.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think this is one of the best and easiest mods I have done to my bike, especially since it costs less than $20! Like everyone said you can't start the bike with it so I just leave it in all the time.
I like that knob design and style. Do you remember where you picked it up?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts