GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a couple of weeks left on the extended warranty on my '03 and wondered if anyone's had one of the lights under the radio/button cluster replaced as a warranty item. The top left light is out.

I saw a thread about pulling the radio and what the lights looks like on the board and would prefer to not do it myself.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Well I suppose we can argue semantics, but I consider any part inside the radio to be part of the radio, and I am making an assumption that Honda would look at it the same way.

It certainly is worth a try using that logic, but I would be surprised if it gets covered.

twyn, If you try, let us know how it turns out.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Well I suppose we can argue semantics, but I consider any part inside the radio to be part of the radio, and I am making an assumption that Honda would look at it the same way.

It certainly is worth a try using that logic, but I would be surprised if it gets covered.

twyn, If you try, let us know how it turns out.
I totally agree Larry.I just argued my case with Honda about rings on a set of cases they were replacing because tranny parts broke the cases.
Their stance was "we are replacing the cases because the transmission gears broke the cases,but the rings are part of the engine and it's not damaged"

But a talk with the Rep by the service manager convinced the Rep to have Honda cover the rings after all.(See related-Thank you Honda Warranty thread)

So you are correct in what Honda will perceve as what is part of or isn't part of what they will cover or not.

OTOH:
It doesn't hurt to try.

Twyn.Maybe is you let Honda use a picture of your bike they will change your bulb.

One bulb under warranty?..Hmmm :shrug:
What is that thing they say about being the cheapest thing on a goldwing is???
(You knew I was going there twyn-lol)

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Just for arguments sake, the worst thing about trying to get this covered under warranty is that even if the dealer did cover it, they may only replace the one bulb that is out. There are 6 total. In my experience, bulb life for backlighting is very consistent. When one goes, within a few months another one will go out, and so on. So after all the time the bike sits at the dealer getting fixed, you end up back at square one.

That's why I don't have an extended warranty and don't even take my bike in for warranty work unless it is expensive or major work. I just do my own work on the items I am capable of. For the relatively little cost involved, I get things done the way I want, and the labor offsets the time fitting a drop off and pickup into my schedule.

That isn't a knock on the dealerships. I just find that taking a vehicle in for service is a PITA.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
And I agree w/ most of your(LarryM) post above.
Had a problem w/my comfort system-have extended warranty-called 4 Honda dealers in my area-3 said they could try but, had no experienced Wing Techs and had never trouble shot a heated seat. One dealer told me they could do it but, FYI, there is no heat in the passenger back rest:wrong:
Ended up fixing it myself!
I bought the extended warranty in case of major tranny/motor failures that might happen. Cheap insurance, if you can find anyone that knows how to work on them!
There have been so many threads/posts on this and other forums of some dealer "cover" and some don't. Bulbs come to mind as in headlight/taillight. Some replace under "warranty" some don't.
Yes, please tell us what your dealer says. Thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
By the time you argue with the dealer, set up an appointment and get the bulbs replaced you will wish you had done it yourself. $3.50 each and use the opportunity to check your air filter. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
By the time you argue with the dealer, set up an appointment and get the bulbs replaced you will wish you had done it yourself. $3.50 each and use the opportunity to check your air filter. :cool::cool:

:agree: I replaced all my radio bulbs last winter. Fred Harmon has how to do photos on his site.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
The bulb replacement itself is very easy. Since this isn't a major concern, save it for when an air filter replacement is due. Pull the radio and remove the keyboard. The lamps are a 1/4 turn twist in type.

The lamps are designed as a field replaceable item. That is why I don't replace them when I do upgrades and repairs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts