GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DSI Keeper
9,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from a two day, 1000 mile ride and when I am 80 miles from home, the radio acts up. I was playing my Bike MP3 player and using the CB when I notice the CB wasn't transmitting. After a few more minutes, I realized none of the radio controls were responding. Intercom, FM, AM, Aux, none of the them. The screen is showing that I am playing a CD, CB is on, and I am using headset output.

The MP3 player was still going, tho. So, I decided to shut the bike off thinking it would reset. Now, the audio will not turn on, however the MP3 player still plays. Infact, it still plays even when I turn the key off. After awhile, while the bike is sitting in the dark, the lights on the radio are on. Key is off. :shrug:

I thought it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before going to bed. Too tired tonight. Thought I would throw this out there before I started to poke around to see if there is a loose connection or fuse. Everything else on the bike (electrically) seems OK. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
DSI Keeper
9,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Hooked up the ground cable to the battery and I think functionality is restored. Fluke? There is a sizeable arc when I touch the cable to the battery. Is that normal? I never noticed it before.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Update:

Hooked up the ground cable to the battery and I think functionality is restored. Fluke? There is a sizeable arc when I touch the cable to the battery. Is that normal? I never noticed it before.

Sizeable arc....well, that is relative. But as you know from years of wrenching there is always the chance of arcing on re-install of cable. One thing I would check is to unplug your mp3 player and see if you can get it to arc again. Also, after playing the mp3 player for a couple of hours, do you notice it getting unreasonably hot?

Something tells me you will be chasing an intermittent ground issue in the future.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
You most likely hit the ASEL button while using the MP3 player the GL1800 does not like having anything connected to the CD connector other than the CD changer all the aftermarket MP3 products can cause this.

If it happens again just drop the battery negative you should also check and clean your radio buttons as dust can be an issue also if you have a chrome radio trim make sure it is not touching buttons if it moves I have seen this more than once.

The players do get hot but if you think it is too hot send it in we will test it etc

·
DSI Keeper
9,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete, you may be on to something. I was switching over to AUX to use the BT phone and do remember that I hit a wrong button. Easy to do in heavy Interstate traffic. If that is the case, that is a good thing to know and kudos to you for sharing.

Richard, I am not very good a chasing anything anymore. So, I hope Pete is more right than you are, bud!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
One can communicate the "size" of a cable arc by sound. If the arc sounded about the same dB level as breaking a toothpick, there is no cause for concern. However, if it was loud as a pencil being broken in half, there is some kind of draw that should not be active when the key is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts