GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of years I have been using the builtin MP3 player on my Garmin 395 as well as a Siriur XM radio on both my 2003 GL1800's, one in Florida and theother in Prince Edward Island. All the electronic goodies required to make this work are fairly pricey so when I change locations I remove it all from one bike and install it on the other. This was working fine until last Fall when I arrived in Florida and everything worked OK except that the volume for the Garmin was much lower that before. I had to set the volume on the bike at 28 -30 in order to get the same volume as before at 13. When I returned to PEI in March and installed all the goodies on my bike up here nothing worked, no SiriusXM, no Garmin, no CB and no bike radio. The Sirius radio is powered by the bike's aux power whereas the Garmin is powered by an aux fuse block which is controlled by a relay. The audio is fed to the Garmin via a Bluetooth dongle which is powered from the bike's aux power plug. I'm just not going to be able to ride this Summer without my tunes!! I don't think the problem is the Corona virus but something is definitely wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tuneless in PEI

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So, to be clear, you have a Sirius XM radio that feeds Bluetooth audio to your Garmin, and the Garmin is plugged into the AUX audio port of the bike? And you select what music source you want with the Garmin (either Sirius over Bluetooth or the built-in media card)?

Bluetooth is Bluetooth, so unless you've made an electronic setting, that volume will not likely have changed. The AUX port on your Garmin could be corroded or breaking (now broken) and that would impact the volume of any AUX-delivered audio.

Nothing about your setup would impact your CB or bike radio, so if those are also not working I suspect there is something wrong with the bike in PEI.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, to be clear, you have a Sirius XM radio that feeds Bluetooth audio to your Garmin, and the Garmin is plugged into the AUX audio port of the bike? And you select what music source you want with the Garmin (either Sirius over Bluetooth or the built-in media card)?

Bluetooth is Bluetooth, so unless you've made an electronic setting, that volume will not likely have changed. The AUX port on your Garmin could be corroded or breaking (now broken) and that would impact the volume of any AUX-delivered audio.

Nothing about your setup would impact your CB or bike radio, so if those are also not working I suspect there is something wrong with the bike in PEI.
There is a black box (I don't know what this box is called so lets just call it a splitter) with a harness and plugs which allow you to provide power to two devices. For some reason the harness for this box only has one audio plug so I had to install a USB splitter and the audion from the SiriusXM radio is plugged into one of the two USB plugs. The audio for the Garmin is Bluetooth only so I have a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the other plug in the USB splitter. Even though there is two power plugs, I have chosen not to power the GPS from the aux power - it is powered from an aux fuse block which I installed right beside the main fuse block. This aux fuse block is powered through a relay which I installed. I am far from being an electronics tech but since the power for the two devices comes from separate sources and the audio for the Garmin goes through a dongle rather than being hard wired to the same audio as the SiriusXM radio, I would think it is not possible for one device to damage the other. Since the bike radion does not come on O am thinking the problem lies in the bike radio rather than the aux feed. As mentioned in my original post, there is squelch from the CB but that is all. When I turn on the CB or the bike radio, nothing happens and there is nothing on the dash screen.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have both the Garmin and the XM audio fed into the AUX audio connection in the left hand fairing pocket? Also, are you having this problem over both the outside speakers and the headset? I mean, there is no audio in either location?
Same on headsets and outside speakers

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You're all over the place with the terminology - audio ports are plugged into USB ports, different power sources,... Ignore the power sources for now, they don't matter as long as you're getting 12V power on them, or 5V if they're really USB.

If the bike radio isn't working, that's the primary issue. Until that is dealt with you won't get audio through the bike with any source.

After that's working, if you still have an issue, take a picture of the devices, preferably hooked up to one another, and perhaps we can troubleshoot it then.

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
There are a ton of questions to ask here about the hookups, but as the previous post said, concentrate on the head unit first. Do you have sound through FM? Have you checked it with both external speakers and headset? (There are two separate amplifiers in the radio) The answer to those two questions will determine the next steps.

·
Vendor
195 Posts
There is a black box (I don't know what this box is called so lets just call it a splitter) with a harness and plugs which allow you to provide power to two devices. For some reason the harness for this box only has one audio plug so I had to install a USB splitter and the audion from the SiriusXM radio is plugged into one of the two USB plugs. The audio for the Garmin is Bluetooth only so I have a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the other plug in the USB splitter. Even though there is two power plugs, I have chosen not to power the GPS from the aux power - it is powered from an aux fuse block which I installed right beside the main fuse block. This aux fuse block is powered through a relay which I installed. I am far from being an electronics tech but since the power for the two devices comes from separate sources and the audio for the Garmin goes through a dongle rather than being hard wired to the same audio as the SiriusXM radio, I would think it is not possible for one device to damage the other. Since the bike radion does not come on O am thinking the problem lies in the bike radio rather than the aux feed. As mentioned in my original post, there is squelch from the CB but that is all. When I turn on the CB or the bike radio, nothing happens and there is nothing on the dash screen.
So you are saying that the screen or display for the bike radio never lights up or displays any radio or CB functions at all?

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
So you are saying that the screen or display for the bike radio never lights up or displays any radio or CB functions at all?
I didn't see that last statement. Good catch.

Whenever I hear about a dead radio after working on the bike, the first thing I always suggest is checking for a jammed passenger push to talk switch. The seat tends to jam it when being removed or re-installed.

·
Vendor
195 Posts
I didn't see that last statement. Good catch.

Whenever I hear about a dead radio after working on the bike, the first thing I always suggest is checking for a jammed passenger push to talk switch. The seat tends to jam it when being removed or re-installed.
Exactly. That is usually what we tend to find. That usually doesn't allow you to control any functions or change any radio functions

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly. That is usually what we tend to find. That usually doesn't allow you to control any functions or change any radio functions
Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry I haven't been able to follow up until today. First of all, regarding the screen, when I turn on the ignition the screen lights up and if there is a door open it indicates it as per normal. There is nothing on the screen relating to the radio such as volume level and nothing relating to the CB. I removed the seat and saw no sign of the passenger PTT wires being crimped. On this same note, with the CB turned on, there are no indications on the screen regarding volume or squelch but if I turn the squelch down I get the static/hum as per normal with the CB until I turn the squelch back up and it goes away as per normal. Also, with the squelch turned down to where the static/hum comes on, if I hold the passenger PTT button in the squelch goes away until I release the button, I would think this indicates the passenger PTT button is not the problem? I removed all the extras before doing all this.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry I haven't been able to follow up until today. First of all, regarding the screen, when I turn on the ignition the screen lights up and if there is a door open it indicates it as per normal. There is nothing on the screen relating to the radio such as volume level and nothing relating to the CB. I removed the seat and saw no sign of the passenger PTT wires being crimped. On this same note, with the CB turned on, there are no indications on the screen regarding volume or squelch but if I turn the squelch down I get the static/hum as per normal with the CB until I turn the squelch back up and it goes away as per normal. Also, with the squelch turned down to where the static/hum comes on, if I hold the passenger PTT button in the squelch goes away until I release the button, I would think this indicates the passenger PTT button is not the problem? I removed all the extras before doing all this.
Update
After posting my last reply I went back out to the bike to see if there was a difference from the external speakers to the headset. The seat was still off. When I turned on the ignition, lo and behold, everything was working, but only for about half a minute. The radio is now working but there are no radio functions coming up on the screen. I checked all the connections under the seat
After posting my last reply I went out to the bike to see if there is a difference between the headsets and the external speakers (there is no difference) and lo and behold, everything was working, screen and all, for about 30 seconds. I checked all the connections under the seat with no improvement but the radio is still working but no radio functions show on the screen. Not sure if the CB is working, there is squelch and it disappears when you turn up the squelch but there are no CB functions on the screen either.

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
The symptoms keep changing. When it is all taken together, there is nothing in the bike or with any accessory that can cause all those symptoms, the intermittent display being a big clue.

I am fairly confident that the firmware in the microprocessor is locked up. The only way to fix that is with a hard reset. It is not always easy, especially with the later model bikes, because there is a large value .1 Farad capacitor in the radio that provides backup. The negative battery lead is going to have to be disconnected long enough for that cap to discharge. You can tell if the radio reset because you will lose all presets, and the radio will power up in FM mode at station 98.1

Beyond that, check for mice chewing into a harness. Also, do you have one of the aftermarket mp3 players that plugs into the CD connector? If so, unplug it.

As always, it is generally a good idea to see if the battery cables are tight and take a voltage measurement on the battery with the ignition off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The symptoms keep changing. When it is all taken together, there is nothing in the bike or with any accessory that can cause all those symptoms, the intermittent display being a big clue.

I am fairly confident that the firmware in the microprocessor is locked up. The only way to fix that is with a hard reset. It is not always easy, especially with the later model bikes, because there is a large value .1 Farad capacitor in the radio that provides backup. The negative battery lead is going to have to be disconnected long enough for that cap to discharge. You can tell if the radio reset because you will lose all presets, and the radio will power up in FM mode at station 98.1

Beyond that, check for mice chewing into a harness. Also, do you have one of the aftermarket mp3 players that plugs into the CD connector? If so, unplug it.

As always, it is generally a good idea to see if the battery cables are tight and take a voltage measurement on the battery with the ignition off.
So just to be sure I have this right, first I need to check the battery voltage, which should be good because I have it on a battery tender, then disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait for the capacitor to discharge. How long should that take Larry? I don't think mice are the problem since I always spread a bunch of moth balls around under the bike when I store it.I'll disconnect the neg lead right now and I'll leave it off until I hear from you as to how long,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man this thing is gonna drive me bananas,I just went out to disconnect the neg lead and just out of curiosity I turned the ignition on and everything is working fine, all the functions on the screen are working for the intercom, radio and CB. So should I still disconnect the neg lead or just keep an eye on things and see what happens?

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
Tough call. It's not a certainty that this is a firmware problem. If you have an upcoming trip planned, I would pull the battery cable. Electronics have not yet achieved the ability to repair itself. That won't happen until Skynet comes online. 😋

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
So just to be sure I have this right, first I need to check the battery voltage, which should be good because I have it on a battery tender, then disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait for the capacitor to discharge. How long should that take Larry? I don't think mice are the problem since I always spread a bunch of moth balls around under the bike when I store it.I'll disconnect the neg lead right now and I'll leave it off until I hear from you as to how long,
I have seen some of the older radios reset in as little as a half hour and read about later models that lasted days. I would let it sit overnight. You will know if it reset if the presets are gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts