·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptoms...

Bike.
2008 Air Bag
80,000 + miles

Three weeks ago my radio would not come on when I turned the key on or after I started the bike???

The indicator for the radio in the GPS window was not showing up either...

Figured maybe a fuse???

Checked fuse... Not that...

After three minutes of riding the radio came on, but it did not blare out it kinda faded in very slowly until it got up the volume I had set it for the day before...

When the radio came on the radio indicator in the GPS window had reappeared and all works just fine as if nothing ever happened...

So I figured it must be a loose connection...

I tried hitting as many pot holes as I could find to see if I could knock something loose but nothing, it kept playing just fine...

An hour later I stopped for gas, when I turned the bike back on, no radio again, this time it started the same way, faded in slowly, only about ten minutes later...

When I got home I check all connections I could find nothing loose...

Since then every time I turn off my bike (one minute or over night) the radio does the same way, will not come on until riding for a wile, the only exception of the time that it takes to fade in, any where from one minute to twenty five minutes to come on...

Yesterday it stopped coming on all together and has not been back on since...

Can't be fuze or connections, I checked them, all OK...

Any information as to what is causing this???

Pushing any and all buttons (AM, FM, CD, CB) makes no difference at all

The radio,
amp,
switch,
a relay somewhere???

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Assuming the bike is out of warranty:

Checking for bad connections is one of those hit or miss, hope you get lucky kind of things.

There are only three things that the radio needs to power up, battery backup B+, ignition B+, and ground.

If the radio is getting all of those things, and is still dead, the radio is bad. and needs to be repaired or replaced.

The only way to verify the radio is getting B+ and ground is to measure it right at the radio, which means removing the top shelter.

It is a strange symptom. I would suspect that you are losing power, not a bad radio.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Larry, that’s the direction I have been leaning also... :yes1:

I also feel that most all electronic malfunctions are Black and white there are not many intermittent problems any more unless there is a loose or partially broken wire... :eek:4:

I guess I’ll take my trusty VOM and start at the radio and check every wire that comes off of it for continuity from there to wherever it takes me till I find the brake??? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Again Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
radio question

if you have a manual or have access to on it will show the wries you need to check. I agree that it seems like the constant power to the radio is not supplying power to keep the radio ready to use and that is why it takes time to come on. That is the wire you need to find

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have you checked the battery? I was having all kinds of weird problems earlier this year with things that used the battery and once I replaced the battery every problem went away. Just because its got juice to start the bike doesn't mean its completely good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a 2008 Prem Audio and it does the same thing, but all I do is turn off the key and back on and all good, happened about 3 times since and I bought it new.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
It is interesting that while the radio goes dead and came back all those times you still had your presets... so at least the memory back up power was still working... or did you loose your presets as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I never lost the presets

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
You need to start treating your little girl better Red Bird!:lol::lol::lol::joke:

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
If you still had your memory presets, you didn't pull the right fuse. The fuse labeled audio is not the hot memory line. It is the one labeled battery, at least on the early models. On the 01-03 models, it was fuse #21 and #22.

When you pull those fuses, leave them unplugged for at least 5 minutes, preferably longer. I have had a number of these radios on the bench that have retained their memory settings for a little while, due to capacitors discharging slowly.

If you still have your presets, the radio did not reset.

It never hurts to try a reset. But I don't think it will help in this case, because it doesn't sound like a system control problem. System control problems don't slowly fade away. They either work, or don't work. It sounds like either audio circuit related or power related. A reset will not solve those kinds of problems.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very, Very Strange???

Very, Very Strange???

My radio hasn’t been working since last Monday and so far I haven’t found where the problem might be yet, but as I was riding in to work this morning it started to fade in and played as normal for the rest of my way to work..

I was not on a bumpy section of road when this happened, the only thing I remember doing that might be a little out of the norm, was someone pulled across in front of me so I let off of the throttle and honked my horn at them, but did not hit my brakes...

This is not normal at all...

I’m starting to wonder if there might be some that might have worked loose on the PC board??? And is now intermittent??? :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
You probably got it dizzy and confused from going through the twisties so fast Red Bird!:lol::lol::lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts