GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 Wing. Since I started riding this past spring I have had a static in the headset / speakers. The static sounds like a fly on it's back with it's wings going. If you apply the rear brakes the static stops for a few seconds and then starts again.This happens even with the radio off. This static still comes through the headset. This is very annoying. Can anyone help me with this problem? This Wing has been a flawless perfect machine with 65,800 miles to date. :shrug:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think that one is for the aux power plug, but if you search a bit you can find the one for the head set connection...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think that one is for the aux power plug, but if you search a bit you can find the one for the head set connection...
If you find one, please let us know

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know..

G,

Tell me a little more about your noise.. Is it ignition noise? .. buzzy, and changes pitch as the engine RPMs change? Alternator noise? A whiney noise, sort of like a hum, that changes with RPM? A constant static noise like an unsquelched CB?

Do you get the noise with the intercom off and on? One or the other?
With the CB (If you have one) off or on?
Aux input off or on?
CD player if you have one?
A combination?

What accessories have you added to the audio / intercom system? Passenger volume control? Kennedy switch sets or cellset? GPS? XM / Sirius?

Have you added anything recently?

Does this go away at a higher RPM? (Mine has an intermitent ignition buzz in the intercom, and it stops at about 3K-3.5K RPM. And only does it sometimes.. ) (I cleaned the contacts on my J&M passenger volume switch, and that seemed to help)

Does cold or hot influence it?

Is something near the spark plug wires? Or the coils?
<edit> Have you changed the spark plugs recently? If so, did it get resistor plugs put back in?

On an '02 (and my '03) I'm kind of inclined to think bad grounds. I should have cleaned mine the last time I had the tank out, but...
The "goes away when the brakes are applied" ... You said rear. Only the rear, or is it the same if you only use the front? I don't know what that might indicate, but if it's ground, maybe applying the brakes somehow improves the ground by using a different path?

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
989 Posts
If all else fails, here is what I had to do : My 02 with 80+k miles started the same noise. I did the usual checks of grounds, loose conns,etc. Some things appeared to work and then the symptoms would reappear. I finally installed a head set noise kit, item # HO-7230451 from Direct Line. This appears to have stopped it. It has been about 8 mos and no return of noise. It does require removal of the shelter but includes good instructions and even includes a roll of vinyl tape.

Last Aug the price was $72.37

If you would rather acquire the harness from your dealer the Honda no. is 32190-mca-305.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If all else fails, here is what I had to do : My 02 with 80+k miles started the same noise. I did the usual checks of grounds, loose conns,etc. Some things appeared to work and then the symptoms would reappear. I finally installed a head set noise kit, item # HO-7230451 from Direct Line. This appears to have stopped it. It has been about 8 mos and no return of noise. It does require removal of the shelter but includes good instructions and even includes a roll of vinyl tape.

Last Aug the price was $72.37

If you would rather acquire the harness from your dealer the Honda no. is 32190-mca-305.
Did that take care of the noise for the passenger as well?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Keyman,

Yes, so far so good. Both headsets are quiet. Or as quiet as an 02 can be. For some reason they are very microphonic and I have never completly eliminated all of the noises. Now I just ignore most of them. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I get some very low volume static, but it's only when the cruise control is on. If I disengage the cruise control by hitting the switch or applying the brakes, it disappears. It's only a minor annoyance and I'm not very concerned about it, but it's still there. Strange.

2W

·
Registered
989 Posts
2Wheeler,

If you dig around in the archives, there is several methods of shielding the cruise module. Everything including an old license plate. Might be worth a try. That's the one thing on my 02 that hasn't bothered.(yet!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts