GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio goes from playing fine to complete static when the brake is applied. I installed a flashing police type brake light where the reflector was below the license plate. Pretty sure there was no static before that. I don't play the radio that much. Is that brake flasher causing the Static? And - is there anything to do about it - like shielding the wire or anything else?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have several TIR lights installed on my bike, no radio interference or static at all.... How did you wire/power your light? Are you also using a brake light flasher?

We may discover that you have a ground issue....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually - I just grounded it to the frame - not to a ground wire. I do not have a flasher on the brake lights. The flasher unit was self contained. I wired it into the brake light wire & grounded it on a metal support running back there by the wires. I probably need to ground it into brake ground. Do you think that is it? The flasher has always worked fine.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can quickly test that by removing the ground and use a jumper wire with gator clips to extend it to the neg battery post...

Actually - I just grounded it to the frame - not to a ground wire. I do not have a flasher on the brake lights. The flasher unit was self contained. I wired it into the brake light wire & grounded it on a metal support running back there by the wires. I probably need to ground it into brake ground. Do you think that is it? The flasher has always worked fine.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I rarely use the stock radio. The reception isn't good. I went out for a late afternoon ride the other day. I tuned into a local station (30 miles away) to listen to a talk program. The reception of the signal was decent until I applied the brakes. When I applied the brakes a varying pitch squeal distorted the reception. I do have a Honda cb radio (it wasn't on) and a JMDM-IPBT digital music player installed on the bike. My guess is the brake lights are the source of the interference.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
The ground circuit for the rear lights on this bike is awful, the best thing you can do is put a jumper wire from the solid green wire at the 14 pin connector under the seat directly to the battery ground or at least to the G2 ground near the reverse cable bracket.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The ground circuit for the rear lights on this bike is awful, the best thing you can do is put a jumper wire from the solid green wire at the 14 pin connector under the seat directly to the battery ground or at least to the G2 ground near the reverse cable bracket.
Next time I have the seat off (it's getting too much use now;)) I'll install the jumper. Thanks for the advice!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts