GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since replacing my battery last week I am unable to change the radio station either from handlebar control or radio knob. Volume knob works find, can adj bass and treble also but changing channel function does not work

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Did you happen to remove the top shelter at all? Sounds like the mega-harnesses attached to the radio may be loose.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Since replacing my battery last week I am unable to change the radio station either from handlebar control or radio knob. Volume knob works find, can adj bass and treble also but changing channel function does not work
DO you have ASEL pressed? It will show in the screen if so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turning Problem

No I did not touch top shell, only side cover and removed battery. Battery was out of bike for about 18hrs before new one installed. Not sure what "ASEL" is?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Here's how ASEL works (and I don't have a manual).

At "home." Make sure A-SEL is not displyed in the radio area (quickly press and release A-SEL button until it's gone).
Tune your radio and set your own personal presets for your "home" area. You can set 6 FM1 - 6 FM2 6-AM - that's 18 stations. Tune a band and a station and hold the number button you want to assign to that station.

Now, press and HOLD A_SEL until it flashes. It will scan all the available frequencies and find stations strong in the area IN WHICH YOU ARE NOW.

Now you have 36 stations preset. Your original 18 and the A-SEL 18. Press and quickly release A-SEL so it's not displayed.

Your "home" stations take over the preset buttons.

Press A-SEL and quickly release so it IS displayed. The A-SEL takes over your presets.

This is because AT HOME, you know what stations you listen to so set them first manually. Make sure A-SEL is off then choose FM1 - FM2 -AM then tune a station then press and hold 1-6 to store.

When you are travelling and your home stations fade, just press and release A_SEL then press and hold A-SEL and it will find the stations at this time and this place away from home.

When you get back home, just press and quickly release A-SEL so it does not display and your buttons are all back to the stations you preset manually while you were home.

Second quesiton: Do you have an MP3 player?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Here's how ASEL works (and I don't have a manual).

At "home." Make sure A-SEL is not displyed in the radio area (quickly press and release A-SEL button until it's gone).
Tune your radio and set your own personal presets for your "home" area. You can set 6 FM1 - 6 FM2 6-AM - that's 18 stations. Tune a band and a station and hold the number button you want to assign to that station.

Now, press and HOLD A_SEL until it flashes. It will scan all the available frequencies and find stations strong in the area IN WHICH YOU ARE NOW.

Now you have 36 stations preset. Your original 18 and the A-SEL 18. Press and quickly release A-SEL so it's not displayed.

Your "home" stations take over the preset buttons.

Press A-SEL and quickly release so it IS displayed. The A-SEL takes over your presets.

This is because AT HOME, you know what stations you listen to so set them first manually. Make sure A-SEL is off then choose FM1 - FM2 -AM then tune a station then press and hold 1-6 to store.

When you are travelling and your home stations fade, just press and release A_SEL then press and hold A-SEL and it will find the stations at this time and this place away from home.

When you get back home, just press and quickly release A-SEL so it does not display and your buttons are all back to the stations you preset manually while you were home.

Second quesiton: Do you have an MP3 player?
howsa bout hittn the FM button to tune the radio in??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Radio tuning problem

Found ASEL and it was not selected but tried it both ways still doesn't work, Went thru setup and everything I could find and not sure what looking for. Nothing else connected just using radio. Chrome channel know will let me adj bass, treble etc when I press it for the menu but once out of menu turning the knob does nothing. It definitely did work before I replaced battery

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Sticks, you can't adjust the channel up down from the radio itself. That function does not exist. The only up/down function is from the handlebars.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
A couple of things may have occurred, and may be coincedental in regards to the timing of it.

Your handlebar switch may be dirty, and just not making contact. Although that usually will show up in that switch as work in one direction but not the other.

A wire heading up the handlebar harness may have failed.

Your radio has died. (not likely)

Your radio may have got a hitch in it when you hooked the battery back up. And sometimes when hooking a battery back up you happen to make and break contact on the terminals which sends a voltage spike up into the electronics.

So anyhow, the easiest and most common remedy is disconnect one lead on the battery (the Negative is always good to start with). Leave it off for 5-10 minutes or so to allow all residual voltage/capacitance in the radio to bleed off. Then reconnect your terminal, trying to make it one connection while attaching, not (connected-not connected-connected-not connected). Then try the radio and see if it has reset itself.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sticks: My first guess is that you have a sticking switch on the handle bar. These switches are a known issue on the 1800's. Try spraying Silicone spray into the side of the switch and work the switch rapidly at the same time. Also are your programed station buttons on the radio working or are they not programed?

Wayne

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Radio tuning problem

Thanks everyone for your input. Guess for one thing I did not know could not change channels using the chrome radio knob. Just bought bike around summer and really had not tried before this. Was just checking everything after installing new battery when I noticed the hiccups. I did use some silicone and it helped with the handlebar switch. Again, a wealth of knowledge and great people on the board.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. Guess for one thing I did not know could not change channels using the chrome radio knob. Just bought bike around summer and really had not tried before this. Was just checking everything after installing new battery when I noticed the hiccups. I did use some silicone and it helped with the handlebar switch. Again, a wealth of knowledge and great people on the board.
So it's OK now?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Don't feel bad. I can't tell you how many of my customer have hooked up their radio after getting it back and then contacted me telling me the tuning knob no longer worked. And they had their bikes for years.

It's just one of those controls you expect to be there, because of the way other radios work. Most people have just never tried it. (The radio is actually capable of it. It's just disabled.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts