GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went thru the process of doing some upgrades to my audio system. First I installed the Sony Xplods front and rear, nice speakers. Then I bought the Pyle PLMRA400 amplifier. I found out very quickly what amplified distortion sounds like. I had read a few posts in the past about LarryM's upgrade, but kind of forgot about it. I did some additional research upon my huge dissappointment in the performance of my system and decided to finally not be lazy & stupid anymore:oops: and pull the radio and send it to Larry.

All I can say is wow!!! This upgrade rocks...literally. The sound quality in the radio, CD or MP3 is simply outstanding. Anyone even mildly thinking about finally doing something about their 2001 -2005 audio system...GET THIS UPGRADE. BTW I pulled the radio and sent it out from AZ on Monday, June 27th and received it back July 5th. That's a great turn around time. Don't waste your money on an amplifier on these radios. It will only amplify the distortion and make it worse. THANKS, LARRY!!!:bow:

P.S. I am not being paid or compensated in any way for this endorsement.:roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Larry did the upgrade to my radio, and installed four Polk 501's for me. I dropped my bike off and picked it up the next day. I am very pleased with the result. The wiring job is top notch, and the results are very obvious. I can hear the radio at 70 MPH at about a setting of 16-18 volume.

I am very pleased with the results!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you leave the amp hooked up, after you got the radio modded?
I did, but only because I did all the wiring when I installed it. With the amp gain turned down to zero, it still puts out plenty of quality volume. With the amp set at about 1/2 it still sounds great, so I will probably leave it in. For anyone thinking about this mod, I would say with it you just don't need an amp. But regardless, if you have an 01-05, get the mod first. Best money you will ever spend!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I already have the EC amp kit, just haven't installed it yet. If I'm not mistaken, LarryM said he could not give me any feedback on the effect of doing both of the audio mods. Just wanted to say thanks for info.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LarryM is a regular contributor on this post. He is the resident expert on most audio and electronic subjects. I believe he works in electronics. You can look him up in the member list or here is his website: http://www.rattlebars.com/radio/

The charge is $95.00 return shipping included. He replaces the power IC which he researched and found an upgraded replacement for the stock 2001 - 2005.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts