GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added another Gen1 GL1800 Wing to the stable and pretty much thought I'd gone through everything until I rode it the other night and realized that the toggle button for radio volume up/down on the LH control section that one would work with the left thumb will only lower the volume but not allow me to increase it. I can use the knob on the radio to raise the volume but, I'd really like for this to work as designed.

I'm pretty sure the Honda solution would be to buy a complete new left side control box for $250 or so but, I'm thinking that I can't be the only one to have encountered something like this. I'm hopeful that the combined wisdom here can come up with a solution I can use. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Electrical contact cleaner and lots of working the switch should clean it up enough to work... may have to open the switch pod to get the cleaner where it’s needed.

:thumbup:

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
To me that sounds like a button that has not been used in a long time. Continue trying to use it and it will probably begin to work. When pushing up on it, try various pressures, with many attempts, and when in the full up position, move it back and forth. You will probably begin to see it work.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Electrical contact cleaner and lots of working the switch should clean it up enough to work... may have to open the switch pod to get the cleaner where it’s needed.

:thumbup:
IF YOU GO TO OPEN SWITCH PUT A BAGGIE AROUND IT ! (TO CATCH THE PARTS ) :surprise:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF YOU GO TO OPEN SWITCH PUT A BAGGIE AROUND IT ! (TO CATCH THE PARTS ) :surprise:

Thanks for the reminder. I learned that the hard way while taking apart the RH switch pod on a different bike a few years back. I got incredibly lucky and found the spring from the reverse switch but know it could have been a real nightmare, otherwise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2008 that I bought in 2015 with 6900 miles did that also, I did what Goldwingrgreg suggested and it’s been fine ever since. I try and work all the buttons and switch’s about 50 times each at the beginning of the riding season, I don’t want the hazard switch sticking on again. Most of them are used much more now then in the first 7 years of life. 50,000 miles since 2015

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one was left in a parking garage in Cleveland and claimed for unpaid storage fees after sitting all winter. For all I know, it could have been in a snowbank all that time. I bought it at a dealer repo sale for $3500 so, I expected a few issues. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Recently cleared up two switches for a friends Wing WD40 followed up by contact cleaner, worked the switches all good...

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
My 2008 that I bought in 2015 with 6900 miles did that also, I did what Goldwingrgreg suggested and it’s been fine ever since. I try and work all the buttons and switch’s about 50 times each at the beginning of the riding season, I don’t want the hazard switch sticking on again. Most of them are used much more now then in the first 7 years of life. 50,000 miles since 2015
Most Wings that come in have at least one of those up/down buttons that do not respond. Rarely do I find one that will not start to respond once I try to use it. Once they begin to respond, a little more button pushing, and a little response turns into consistent response.

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you too, and doing it when putting it away for a season is a great idea.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I got a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and everything works perfectly now. :D

Reactions: revrunt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts