GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have asked Larry and I most certainly respect his opinion but just for fun:joke: I'd like to know if anyone can really hear their radio at 80mph :shrug: and if so at what volume setting.

This is just curiosity and like I said for fun:joke:...be sure and mention the type of windshield you're running too please.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 2010 trike has stock windshield and everything else....I can hear my radio on 20-22 @ 80 MPH

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can hear my radio just fine at 16 or 18, even at 90+ MPH. I crank it up to 20 or 22 for some good tunes, but that's just because I like it loud.
I must say that most of the time I run an IPOD or my DroidX on Pandora, the actual FM radio is not nearly as loud

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I assume you mean on the external speakers, not headphones. I can hear mine at 80 but it is fading fast with the volume all the way up.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I can HEAR it at that speed.. Now does it sound GOOD? Hell no. And that's all the way up..

I can run the ipod at maybe 14 on the headsets, or 18 for the fm radio.. But I can't say that I'm happy with how good it sounds at that speed.. J&M headsets, hjc helmet...

What REALLY makes me mad is the non-functional shuffle function on Ipods.. It alleges to play at random, but with thousands of songs to choose from, it sure plays some of them an awful lot..

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
1st edition V-Stream 22-25. Works for me and the sounds are good too.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ear plugs help. Yes really, there is no wnd noise. 15

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use the ipod jake in the left pocket. The ipod volume is turned up almost all the way and I usually have the bike audio at volume 10-13. I also set other audio control (name of it unknown) to Hi, which allows the volume to increase as the speed does. The bike radio does play at a lower volume than the ipod.

·
Registered
898 Posts
2004 Wing
Larry's Mod to stereo
Polk 501' s in the front
Show chrome rear speakers
3/4 helmet for me-full face for passenger

60-70 MPH (100-110 KPH)

Level between 22-25 can be heard very good and clear by myself and passenger(using BikeMP3 player)

This is if there are no cross winds, if we get into cross winds(which can be fairly common up here on the prairies ) we go to headsets. I can generally hear OK at the front but my wife can't hear on the back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can hear it at 80mph, volume level 12 (automatic volume increase with speed), tall windshield, full or 1/2 helmet (either one)

With iPod, it depends on the MP3 bitrate. At 128 bitrate, the sound is lower but good, at 320, it is much better than the radio.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stock windsheild, not problem at 80 on 17. Seldom go over 17 unless good song.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I can HEAR it at that speed.. Now does it sound GOOD? Hell no. And that's all the way up..

What REALLY makes me mad is the non-functional shuffle function on Ipods.. It alleges to play at random, but with thousands of songs to choose from, it sure plays some of them an awful lot..
I'm in total agreement with both your points, Joe. The iPod tunes don't sound any better at 80 mph than the radio tunes, either!

I also think the type of helmet (shorty, open-face, or full-face) has a lot to do with how much "fidelity" comes through to your ears at speed. Still, I will never understand why some people prefer listening to music over the external speakers, rather than through a good headset.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What we all tend to forget is that at 75mph our 'quiet' wings are producing about 100 db of noise all around us. This noise covers the range of the audio spectrum and effectively block out most other sounds. Base is useless at speed on a motorcycle. The end result is that music sounds poor and we can barely make out human conversation.

Helmets attenuate the noise somewhat but they also cut down on the information we want. It's very noisy out there. So much so that ear plugs are called for at higher speeds.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have to call BS on most of these responses at least with stock speakers on my 09 70 mph set on 18 is the max for enjoyment! Any faster and higher volume, yes I CAN HEAR IT but it sucks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts