GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the volume difference when using speakers as opposed to headphones?
I am hard of hearing but recently noticed that I run the volume at about 25 using the speakers at highway speed but need to max it out at 30 when using my EdSets. Has others found this to be the case. I would expect to be able to use lower volume with the EdSets since they are closer to my ears. Any suggestions are appreciated.
TIA
Chuck

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You could try adjusting the speaker placement. A very slight sdjustment can make a big diference. You should find a 'sweet' spot where the sound will come through loud and clear.

My helmet has removable cheek pads so it was easy to find the perfect spot for the speakers. Now the volume is loud at an '8' setting.

Len

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just put my J&M heasdset in a new Nolan 42 open face. They have no pocket or opening at all for speakers. I had to dremmel out a pocet under the liner inthe styrofoam. No biggie and after some fine tuning it will be great. I never have to get mine over about 20 even at highway speeds. Placement of the speakers is key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Speaker placement is important and I also found that the J&M donuts on the speakers help a bunch. I don't need to run higher than about 12.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
headset volume

Thanks readytoride. I bet that is the problem because the J&M in the old helmet works fine.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As others have said, helmet speaker adjustment is critical. Position the speaker as close to the center of the ear. I then used layers of Velcro to push then out until they just touched my ear, then backed off one layer. Everything was then hot glued in place.

For my Ed-Sets, my settings are 6 to 8 in town, at highway speeds on two lane roads it goes up to between 8 to 10, and on multi-lane freeways with lots of traffic noise I turn it up to 15 to 17. If I am wearing earplugs, then add one or two notches to the settings.
What is really nice is when I come down off a mountain pass and my ears haven't adjusted yet. Everything is so quiet and I have to turn it back down to 6 or 7, until my ears pop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts