GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was caught in a heavy rain and had a lot of rain coming from the edge of the windshield and my hands got really wet. This is the first rain I have ridden in with my "Baker Hand Wings" ( which a really great). The rain was coming from the outer edges of the wind shield, most dramatically from the bottom right and left corners. The top edge had very little water dripping from it so that was no big deal, the bottom was very annoying. The "Bakers", hand, leg and "Talsu" hot feet worked great. How can I keep the water from the corners?
1der

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Not trying to be smart..........but you are on a motorcycle with no roof, so when it rains hard it would be pretty difficult to keep the water of most parts of the body, including the hands. I do not believe that there is a satisfactory solution to that problem other than being in a cage.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Unlike Dave, who is a much kinder guy than I am, I AM trying to be a smart alec. Move out west to NM, AZ, CO, WY, UT, NV, or SoCal and that should help your problem considerably. Don't get a whole lot of rain in most parts of those places, and even then it's rarely a real heavy rain. :smile:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but somewhere I read that if you takes some clear plastic tubing, slit it lengthwise, spread the slit across the top of your windscreen, the water will run up against it and then run down the sides and off near your mirrors. Another thing that is annoying is when the rain creeps up the outside, comes over the top and then runs down the inside of the windscreen. This trick is suppose to solve both issues. I live in the desert so rain is rarely an issue here, so that is why I never bothered trying this fix. If the tubing is too small, it will just pop back off. Too big and it will not hold onto the windscreen and keep coming loose. I suppose you could add some RTV clear rubber/silicone sealant to the inside of the tubing before applying it to the windscreen to help hold it in place. If you find the problem too bothersome, maybe this trick will help. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark Rowell
Thanks for the civil answer I was looking for. It's a good idea. As for the other SA's response, I've ridden MC over 100,000 miles in ALL kinds of weather, weather you young pups wouldn't even try to ride in. What kind of nasty weather do you get in Texas,or Co.??? The Baker wings I just installed work great keeping the wind and cold away. (I also ride in below freezing weather) Texas, how cold do you get when you ride:shrug:? Boys , believe me, I've ridden in some nasty weather. Hasn't stopped me yet.
1der

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
What kind of gloves were you using? There are some really great riders gloves that do a good job keeping your hands dry. Even leather gloves properly broken in and treated can do a good job keeping your hands dry for an hour or two of riding in heavy rain. A hugger glove will last as long as you want to ride in a down pour.

http://www.huggergloves.com/

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I road a LOT in the rain this week; probably about 600 miles and very hard down pours too. I use the Tulsa Extra Tall and Tulsa mirror wings. Even in very hard rain, there is NO rain on the driver IF speed can be kept at 60mph and above. If you slow down, the water barely sheds over the top and some of it falls in your lap. Once you get under 50 MPH the rain just fall straight down upon you. Damn traffic lights and slow traffic! Best hand protection is good gloves and Frog Togs pulled over the cuffs of the gloves.

prs

R

·
0 Posts
Mark Rowell
Thanks for the civil answer I was looking for. It's a good idea. As for the other SA's response, I've ridden MC over 100,000 miles in ALL kinds of weather, weather you young pups wouldn't even try to ride in. What kind of nasty weather do you get in Texas,or Co.??? The Baker wings I just installed work great keeping the wind and cold away. (I also ride in below freezing weather) Texas, how cold do you get when you ride:shrug:? Boys , believe me, I've ridden in some nasty weather. Hasn't stopped me yet.
1der
Let's see, in Houston it doesn't get below freezing much but when it does it don't last long. Fair amounts on wind, rain, lightning etc. I've rode in Houston and sat at red lights with my mufflers under water. Don't take much for Houston to flood. Down here I've rode in temps down in the lower 30's. I ain't much on that freezing crap but we have to have it to kill off the Skeeter population. Doesn't stop me from riding. North Texas is a different story, they can get fair amounts of ice and snow. One year in Amarillo I rode in a foot of snow. When it comes to weather it's all the same, wear the right gear and just don't worry about it.

I've ridden MC over 100,000 miles in ALL kinds of weather, weather you young pups wouldn't even try to ride in.
:lol::lol: What age group do you call young pups? 50's, 60's? :lol::lol:

I got quite a few miles and years riding in the north country. I just had to ride in more cold weather up there than I do down here. Lot more rain here too. You ain't nothing new, there's quite a few here who ride in all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What kind of nasty weather do you get in Texas...(I also ride in below freezing weather) Texas, how cold do you get when you ride:shrug:?1der
1der. I guess you missed the coverage of Hurricane Ike last year and Rita the year before and a brush with Katrina before that. Houston, where the humidity is often higher than the temperature for as much as nine months a year. As for cold Texas is a big state and cold in Houston does not compare to cold in the Texas Panhandle. Especially when it is pushed by a 20 mph or higher wind. So NY does not have the exclusive rights to bad weather.

As for the other posters who said when it rains your going to get wet so you just might as well get used to it if you want to ride in the rain. They were just giving good advise. Oh, and using windshield garnish to keep your hands or anything else dry. That doesn't work. If it did everyone riding a motorcycle with a windshield would have it on their bike. Get some good waterproof gloves and enjoy the ride. I hear getting rained on teaches you humility.

Walt

·
Registered
887 Posts
Tonight I was caught in a heavy rain and had a lot of rain coming from the edge of the windshield and my hands got really wet. This is the first rain I have ridden in with my "Baker Hand Wings" ( which a really great). The rain was coming from the outer edges of the wind shield, most dramatically from the bottom right and left corners. The top edge had very little water dripping from it so that was no big deal, the bottom was very annoying. The "Bakers", hand, leg and "Talsu" hot feet worked great. How can I keep the water from the corners?
1der
There are sleeve's you can put on the bars, they stay on with velcro, similar to what a snowmoble would use, I think Kirk's has them can't remenber, drawing a blank, but they are out there, just can't :shrug:.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There are sleeve's you can put on the bars, they stay on with velcro, similar to what a snowmoble would use, I think Kirk's has them can't remenber, drawing a blank, but they are out there, just can't :shrug:.
I think you are referring to Rhino Gloves. They are not gloves that you put on your hands. They are primarily for very cold weather riding (ice and snow). Think of them as bags around your left and right handgrips that only have a hole big enough for you to stick your gloved hand into and are sealed everywhere else. They work by creating a still pocket of air around your hands, removing them from the outside airflow, which is what sucks the heat from your hands. They use Velco to mount them to the handle bars so they can be removed when not needed. These are way overkill for wet hands. A good pair of gloves will keep your digits dry. Rhino gloves take a bit of getting used to as you cannot see to operate any of the handlebar mounted controls, both mechanical and electrical.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems as though I had read a post about putting "car door" edge molding (I've seen it in different colors at auto parts stores) around the sides/top of your windshield...supossed to help stop the rain from coming around and over the top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts