GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants w/liner & their Honda Goldwing Air-Tek Jacket (the liner should be arriving any day now).

Now, theoretically, this combination with the liners installed SHOULD function as a rain suit. The problem, as I see it, is that both the jacket & pants are MESH - with the liners INSIDE. Doesn't that mean that the rain is going to go right through the mesh 'til it hits the liner - then stop there? Doesn't that also mean that the jack & pants are now going to weight 20lbs more than normal due to the weight of the water?

Anyone have any experience using this set up (or a similar mesh/liner setup)? And if so... Is it effective as a rain suit?

Thanks, y'all!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
That's about right.

I had a Killi Air jacket --- for one trip in the rain. The mesh saturated and the rain ran down the liner. The liner was a bit shorter than my rain pants so the rain found a neat way to get in my britches.
Good idea but the theory doesn't execute well.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I recently completed a 2700 mile trip to Minot ND, and about 1600 of it was in rain. I used the Motoport Ultra ll Air Mesh kevlar with Rain Liner. I think the Motoport has a water resistant composition to it (actually, I think they suggest that when the water repellancy starts to wear off, spray it down with some Silicone water guard type of spray) and with the liner, I stayed PERFECTLY dry, even my shoes (Oxtar Jupitars).

So yes, some water DID go thru the outter mesh, but, when I got to the Hotel room, I was completely DRY.

I mean, COMPLETELY.
It should work well for you also.........

...:rain1:
:biker: ...:yes1:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arn Butt Bill said:
Motoport is a quantum leap forward in technology, execution, performance, craftsmanship, etc. compared to FirstGear.
Yeah, Bill... That's my view too. Aerostich & Motoport (Cycleport now?) are Kings of the Hill - and will cover your for ALL environments. Not to mention the fact that they cost THREE TIMES as much as my FirstGear... gear...

If I'm reeeaaal good this year, I'm hopin' Santy Clause will bring me a set of Aerostich or Motoport (preferrably Aerostich)... But I'm bettin' there's no WAY I can be THAT good...

It's rainin' in Baltimore today and the 25 mile ride in to the office let me know that it's time to retire my Frogg Toggs and buy a dedicated rain suit - until I can afford the Aerostich. Like many people have observed, the Frogg Toggs are a good, cheap LIGHT DUTY rain suit - typically NOT suitable for long haul riders or daily motorcycle commuters.

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ride with the First Gear Kili Air mesh jacket and with the liner in I stay completely dry. Yes the jacket tends to get a little wet but no big deal and for me the liner is long enough to keep the water out of my pants. Just have to make sure you something extra around the neck.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake here - I'm looking to get pants or overpants, too. My question is about liners - does one stop along the road and take the pants off to install the liner? If not, what the hell good are they?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Smitty said:
I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake here - I'm looking to get pants or overpants, too. My question is about liners - does one stop along the road and take the pants off to install the liner? If not, what the hell good are they?
If you don't get the mesh pants the regular pants are waterproof so no need to stop to put the liner in. The liner in the regular pants is for warmth. Also if you got the regular First Gear jacket it is also waterproof so the liner is for warmth also. Some feel a dedicated rain suit is better as the outer garmet doesn't get wet at all when you put the rain suit on over it. Unless you think you will be in the rain all day, I think the waterproof riding jackets and pants work quite well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts