GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next item I am looking to purchase for myself and SO is rain gear. I've heard about Frogg Toggs for use on the GW, any opinions, pluses/minuses on these, and/or other brands? Thanks for all the responses.

Mike

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bbatman said:
Next item I am looking to purchase for myself and SO is rain gear. I've heard about Frogg Toggs for use on the GW, any opinions, pluses/minuses on these, and/or other brands? Thanks for all the responses.

Mike
I didn't have any luck with Frog Toggs.. They leaked and don't hold up with heavy use, but lot's of guys swear buy them..... I found the pants legs were too short when you sit on the bike unless you bought pants 2 sizes too big... I eventually got tired of buying rain suits and about 8 years ago bought a Motoport goretex suit made specifically for motorcycle riding.... www.motoport.com Kinda expensive but it held up well until a mouse ruined it this winter... Very comfortable due to the Goretex.... Most cheaper suits are PVC coated vinyl and make you sweat inside them... Rob

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob Eddy,

Thanks for the reply. I went to the website,looks promising. Which particular rain gear did you get (there were many to choose from)? Did you purchase them online or at a local store where you could try them on? Any recommendations on sizing?

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two thumbs up for Frogg Toggs

I purchased a set at the Cleveland MC show in Feb 2005. Only had to use them a couple of times.

After the Hoot 2005 rally, I went south to Atlanta to visit my sister. Pulled out of ATL Sunday morning in a light rain. It was a mix of heavy rain and blue sky from ALT until north of Knoxville. The Toggs kept me dry and cool. With rubber based gear I would have been pulling over a few times to put on and take off the gear. With the Toggs I just left them on until I stopped for a late lunch near Lexington.

·
Registered
756 Posts
frogg toggs work although heavy use may do them in sooner than others. I have had mine about 3 years

·
Registered
248 Posts
Frog Toggs vs rain suits....

I have both Frog Toggs and a vinyl/nylon rainsuit and here are the differences....

1. Frog Toggs are better at being rolled up and taking less space.
2. Frog Toggs actually breath and don't let me sweat even in warmer weather.
3. No clammy feeling after riding long periods with Frog Toggs.
4.The exterior of the Frog Toggs does pool water, it runs right off, so after a hard shake they are alot dryer than the rainsuit.
5. Frog Toggs are easier to get on and off if you know the magic trick with using a plastic bag over the boot when you slip them on and off.
6. Frog Toggs seem to alot easier overall to get the pants on since they use stretchy material instead of a zipper or snaps.
7. Rain Suits keep you much warmer in the winter.
8. Rain Suits never soak through(the Frog Toggs did finally after 6 hours of hard rain riding.)
9. Rain Suits come in better colors (Frog Toggs for some reason just come in different cameo colors.)
10. Rain Suits feel more solid.(Frog Toggs seem to be more like a paper suit, although they are very strong, or even like a surgical outfit((I work in a hospital and use them all the time.))
11. Rain Suits can be repaired(even though the patch looks ugly.I don't know of a way to patch Frog Toggs.)
12. Rain Suits can be lots cheaper. I think I spent $18 on a set. (Frog Toggs are more expensive $20-40 each piece.)
13. Frog Togs can be made heat resistant for those people that have exposed legs to hot pipes by using a slip on cover. It has heat resistant material on the inside of the leggings.
14. Rain Suits flap less in the wind. Frog Toggs are lighter adn seem to poof out and flap(at least for me.)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Rob Eddy (SE Ohio) said:
Bbatman said:

Mike
I didn't have any luck with Frog Toggs.. They leaked and don't hold up with heavy use, but lot's of guys swear buy them..... I found the pants legs were too short when you sit on the bike unless you bought pants 2 sizes too big... I eventually got tired of buying rain suits and about 8 years ago bought a Motoport goretex suit made specifically for motorcycle riding.... www.motoport.com Kinda expensive but it held up well until a mouse ruined it this winter... Very comfortable due to the Goretex.... Most cheaper suits are PVC coated vinyl and make you sweat inside them... Rob
I had this jacket and the pants to match http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?Prod ... 0-752-9317
They do have a cheaper version that is claimed to be breathable also..

I bought mine at a rally, but you can call them up and give them your measurements and they will make sure you get a correct fit. In fact I decided I wanted to replace my ruined rain jacket with some protective gear so I called them and ordered a Ultra II Cordura all weather jacket yesterday... Their stuff is pricey but I believe there is evidence that it is the best you can buy..... Rob

P

·
0 Posts
First let me say I have spent some time in the rain. Was on Motors for a lot of years here in Florida.

Every day couple hours after noon it rained like hell for a couple hours. We road rain or shine.

We used dry-rider rain gear, and they work great. In fact I have a set that are 12 years old and are still keeping the rain out.

The dry Rider's have been stained over the years and I went out and got Frog Toggs because every raved about them.

Yes they are light and fold up easy, but they don't keep the rain out like dry rider.

You don't get that wet on a wing, until you slow down or stop in a heavy rain anyway.

But after my first real downpore wearing the Frog Toggs, I rolled them up and threw them in a back space in my garage. What a waste of money.

I'll stick Dry Rider - keeps me dry.
I also like the boot straps on the bottom of the dry riders (keeps the pants leg down) and the pants go on a hell-of-alot easier over boots.

:wink:

·
Registered
487 Posts
My wife and I have really been happy with our Frogg Toggs. They are compact for storage, lightweight, and have kept us quite dry and comfortable. Ours are slightly oversized, since we like to layer, (t-shirt, Phoenix Jacket safety gear, windbreaker, light jacket, Frogg Toggs, etc.) as needed, but they fit pretty well.

That said, we have never been in a pouring rain for over about 3 hours and we have only had them for about 3 years.

We give them a hearty 2 thumbs up! :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have both frogg toggs & a vinyl- rubber rain suit, it depends on the time of the year, and the weather, if its 85 or above I will use the frogg toggs, mine have not leaked (yet) but I will gaurantee you one thing if you use a vinyl-rubber style above 85-90 degrees you will be soaked from sweat anyway.

·
Registered
303 Posts
like my frogg toggs alot

·
Registered
120 Posts
I too have been looking and i think i'm opting for Rob's decission for cycle port they are more expensive but like their quality and options glenn in phx

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gpshay,

Do you know who carries them, here, in Phoenix? Something like clothing, I'd like to be able to try on, rather than hope and guess via UPS.

Mike

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bbatman said:
gpshay,

Do you know who carries them, here, in Phoenix? Something like clothing, I'd like to be able to try on, rather than hope and guess via UPS.

Mike
Mike, I don't think they sell much through retailers. I could be wrong but that's my understanding.. I bought my rainsuit direct from them at Wing Ding several years ago. I think you will find that if you call and talk to Wayne that you will get the size you need.. They specialize in custom tailored riding gear so they are very familiar with sizing over the phone... It is a small company... Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Frog Toggs worked great for us as long as it's not a pouring rain. After a few hours of heavy rain you'll be soaked. We don't use them anymore!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Frog Toggs jacket works well, but I haven't had much luck with the pants. They are too short once you sit on the bike and I have had 2 pairs and they both leak.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Me too, Barb. On our recent ride back from Marble Falls, I had on a Frogg Togg top and bottoms from Wal-Mart. I had three pair of the Froggs and all of them leaked at the crotch. Not sure about you ladies, but for us guys that's not cool. So I bought a pair of relatively cheap Wal-Mart pants and they do the trick. However, the bottoms of my Levis got soaked - forgot to tuck them into my boots. But all that got wet (other than the bottom of my pants) was an area around my neck and the Widder gloves (not at all waterproof).

Mesquite Bobb

·
Registered
235 Posts
Question for Rob Eddy:
Based on your link you wear the Apex rain jacket. What do you wear for rain pants? The motoport website wasn't exactly clear on any matching pants for the Apex jacket. Appreciate your input.
jb

1 - 20 of 41 Posts