GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bbatman said:
Next item I am looking to purchase for myself and SO is rain gear. I've heard about Frogg Toggs for use on the GW, any opinions, pluses/minuses on these, and/or other brands? Thanks for all the responses.

Mike
Mike - not that Frogg Toggs are not good or a potential option as I have had two sets myself, but I would still recommend you "invest" a little more money in a higher grade and longer lasting set of gear that can easily provide the same waterproof qualities, but over a much higher level of use and with easily much greater durability. Frogg Toggs are lightweight and breathe well, but they do breakdown and they can also then leak. I use my Frogg Toggs now for maybe a round of golf and the weather is threatening and/or maybe a fishing trip, but for a ride or trip on the Wing I use my FirstGear pants and jacket, which I like a lot better and have also lasted much longer due to their superior durability. My FirstGear apparel also provide much better protection too, which in and of itself is reason enough to confirm your decision.

DaleC

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mike - not that Frogg Toggs are not good or a potential option as I have had two sets myself, but I would still recommend you "invest" a little more money in a higher grade and longer lasting set of gear that can easily provide the same waterproof qualities,

I don't mind spending a little bit more, you know how the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'll be steering away from the Toggs.

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Pay all you want but get a set of dry-riders while they're still around.

Try them, what do you have to lose for 20 bucks (they're doing close outs all over the web and always on ebay).

I have the frog toggs (you have to enjoy being wet to use them)tourmaster also, but the dry riders are still the dryest in downpours.

The people who tell ya they didn't get wet wearing Toggs were inside looking at the rain thru a window or being sprinkled on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
pinkfluffybunny.

Dry-riders, I'll hunt 'em down, and try them.

Thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
KYBLUE said:
If you're looking for Dry Riders, check this out, 13.50
http://www.helmetsetc.com/detail~product_id~dr9121.htm
KYBLUE,

Thanks for the info. Went to that site, and all they had were size small. Went to Google, typed in Dry Rider, and found a site that still had a large and a small, I placed my order, should have them next week. Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought Frog Toggs last year not long after I got my Goldwing. On the way to Charleston from Maggie Valley I had to ride about 3 hours in very heavy rain. I probably should have stopped and waited it out but i didn't. Anyway I wore the frog togs and when I got home I was still dry. No leaks. They were very comfortable and I highly recommend them. I am sure you could find something as good or better if you pay a lot of money. However I will stick with my Frogg Toggs!

·
Registered
833 Posts
pinkfluffybunny said:
Pay all you want but get a set of dry-riders while they're still around.

Try them, what do you have to lose for 20 bucks (they're doing close outs all over the web and always on ebay).

I have the frog toggs (you have to enjoy being wet to use them)tourmaster also, but the dry riders are still the dryest in downpours.

The people who tell ya they didn't get wet wearing Toggs were inside looking at the rain thru a window or being sprinkled on.
I had Dry Riders too... They will keep you dry in the rain.... What I didn't like was having to stop and take them off after the rain to keep from sweating under them. It would probably depend on the type of riding you like to do. I get irritated if I have to stop between fuel stops. The breathable type will stay comfortable even in high humidity situations so you can leave the suit on when the sun comes back out... If your not doing a long distance trip then the expensive Goretex would definately be overkill.... Rob

·
Registered
679 Posts
Have had the Frog Togg farmer john style (Suspender bib overall type pants) for more than three years now..no leaks. I ride in Florida, so I ride in rain..sometimes massive amounts..and have no complaints of soak-through. They don't sweat in hot weather like my vinyl FirstGear Jacket. I usually wear the pants with a Kilimanjaro jacket in cooler weather, or both pieces with a FirstGear mesh jacket in warmer weather. From the posts I get the impression some folk complain the pants are too short..bet they bought too small a set of Toggs.

Ride long and safe..with breatheable raingear that didn't cost as much as a Honda CB

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
833 Posts
ihavenoidea said:
Question for Rob Eddy:
Based on your link you wear the Apex rain jacket. What do you wear for rain pants? The motoport website wasn't exactly clear on any matching pants for the Apex jacket. Appreciate your input.
jb
I use these pants.... http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InSt ... y=RainGear

Had good luck wearing them all day rain or shine and staying comfortable... I unfortunately have spent all day riding in the rain when traveling.... Rob

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Shumanrog said:
I am sure you could find something as good or better if you pay a lot of money.
Actually, I didn't have to spend much more to get some much longer lasting gear. The truth be known it was less than I spent on the two sets of Frogg Toggs I purchased previously which was over $140.00. If you look around there is some amazing gear out there, that is very durable, well made, waterproof, provides some protection, nice looking and stays that way under heavy and frequent use and doesn't cost that much.

Early on I was a big proponent of Frogg Toggs, but I just found items that IMO and for my frequent motorcycling needs worked better. I think it's worth checking out and for those that don't agree, then Frogg Toggs can be purchased for $70 to $75 per set depending upon style.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My Firstgear jacket is waterproof (well tested on many occasions) so
I don't worry about that. I've used the Tour Master Elite rain pants for
about 5 years now and they're great.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm looking for something to use periodically if I should get caught in the rain. Obviously, when the weather turns torrential, I will be parked somewhere.

Thank you all for your help

Mike

P

·
0 Posts
Rob

What I didn't like was having to stop and take them off after the rain to keep from sweating under them.
I know your Momma taught you better than to go around in rain gear when it's not raining.

Bet you walk around with your umbella up in the office...lol

You stop to put them on and you stop to take them off. But when you do, you're dry.... :wink:

KYBLUE, thanks for finding that link.

Update - Damn it just checked the site they're out of stock.......

I'm going to get another set and stick them away. I think fashion ***** noobs have almost put them out of business. Hate to see them go. Best mc dry gear in the business.

It's a shame they stopped selling yellow pants.

·
Registered
833 Posts
pinkfluffybunny said:
Rob

What I didn't like was having to stop and take them off after the rain to keep from sweating under them.
I know your Momma taught you better than to go around in rain gear when it's not raining.

Bet you walk around with your umbella up in the office...lol

You stop to put them on and you stop to take them off. But when you do, you're dry.... :wink:

KYBLUE, thanks for finding that link.

Update - Damn it just checked the site they're out of stock.......

I'm going to get another set and stick them away. I think fashion ***** noobs have almost put them out of business. Hate to see them go. Best mc dry gear in the business.

It's a shame they stopped selling yellow pants.
Actually I figured that out of necessity :lol: ... That's the reason for the Goretex.... I put them on if there is just a chance of rain and stay comfortable..... Then I can pick when I want to stop or not... As I said they are probably overkill for the rider who only sees the occasional shower or doesn't know if they will still be riding in 5 years... But you can't beat it for spending all day in on again off again showers it hot humid weather.... Rob

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Frogg Toggs don't fit me. They ride up my legs in the breeze and the neck opening is HUGE --- rain pours in. Sleeves are too short.
Wife liked hers though; but it wore out in less than a year of occassional use. They're made out of paper or something.

Get some good purpose-built gear that's made for motorcycles. Something that's vented and will protect you in a crash. There's lots of companies that make this stuff from expensive (Aerostich & Motoport) to cheap (Joe Rocket & Technik).
Never cheap-out when it comes to protective riding gear.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts