GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on a two piece rain suit. It must fit the following criteria:

Absolutely waterproof
Breathable so I don't sweat to death
Stuff-able and compact
Easy to get on and off
Doesn't cost a fortune

Let me know if you have something that meets those criteria. Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Sounds like Frogg Toggs to me... just sayin'!

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
+1 on Frogg Toggs..

I only have worn them twice, but both times, I was in monsoon like rain and stayed pretty darn dry too! Now for breathable, I am not sure. I sweat just talking about not sweating, soooooooooo I would sweat even in front of a fan running on high.... :coffee1:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
They also work really well in the cold too!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Rain suits

Another vote for Tourmaster. Wife and I both had the Frogg Toggs, both got wet every time it rained plus, they were HOT to me. Bought the Tourmaster and have NOT been wet since. Ours seem to be vented well so no problem with getting wet from the inside out. Cost was very reasonable and we have worn them for about 3 years now when needed and they seem to be holding up well. Hope this helps, Dave

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tourmaster for me also!! In 57,000 miles of riding, I've always worn my Toumaster in the rain and have never gotten wet from the rain or sweat!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I bought a jacket & pants made of Gor-Tex from Bass Pro. Yes it was expensive but it works. If you research frogg toggs, you'll see they've had problems with the pants leaking. Also for me, they were just too light weight, causing them to flap around in the wind.

·
Registered
559 Posts
+1 on frogg toggs. Good for south Louisiana heat and humidity. Mine keep me dry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looking for recommendations on a two piece rain suit. It must fit the following criteria:

Absolutely waterproof
Stuff-able and compact
Easy to get on and off
Doesn't cost a fortune

Ed

TOUR MASTER

Stay dry and save lots of money. Unbeatable value.
bbc
:cool:

·
Registered
836 Posts

Absolutely waterproof
Stuff-able and compact
Easy to get on and off
Doesn't cost a fortune

Ed
From one Ed to another (remember, 2 Eds are better than one!),

My rain gear came from a clearance sale - it's Stearns brand. If you know much about boats, you may have run across the name. It's not motorcycle-specific (no reflective bits, and it has a hood, which I just tuck down the back of the neck) but I've had it for probably 10 years, and it keeps me dry.

Breathable so you don't sweat - you want LINED coat and pants. Not lining like winter-wear, but just an inner layer and an outer layer of nylon or whatever material it is. Having that gap seems to allow the heat to escape. My riding buddies with the cheap, one-layer (not Frogg Toggs) rainsuit have to stop as soon as it quits raining, or they'll be so wet from sweat they might as well have just rode in the rain. The lining helps. A lot.

"Stuffable" is in the eye of the 'stuffer.' My rainsuit fits in a large ziploc baggie. A hint, though - if the rain suit is readily accessible, instead of tucked away, you can get it on faster, and stay dryer over at the side of the road trying to put it on in the rain that suddenly blew up. On long trips I frequently have mine inside the bungee net that secures my ditty bag to the back seat, so all I have to do is stretch the bungee net out of the way. Around home, it's in its baggie, in a saddlebag.

Easy to get on and off? Here's a tip for putting your rain pants on quickly. Carry a plastic bag, like a grocery bag or WalMart bag or something. Slip your foot into that, THEN stick your foot into your rain pants. No more fighting to get the pants over your boots!

When you're looking at rain suits, pay close attention to how it closes at the neck. That's the main point water gets into your rain suit, unless you blow the seam out of the seat of your pants or something. Rain drips down your helmet/face shield/face, and runs down your neck, It will go right on down your neck and get your chest wet if you don't block it out. You want a snug fit, but (obviously) not too snug!! :22yikes:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ok first off I am not associated with Frogg Toggs so I get no benefit one way or the other. But it will be obvious I am an advocate for the Frogg Toggs.
The Toggs are water proof (I personally have not had any problem with them) . They are not breathable. The pants can be worn in pretty hot weather but the jacket gets pretty hot. They are actually made of the Tyvek material they have a good R value for insulation and are tough and tear proof. Work well in cooler climates.
The bottoms and tops are stuffed in a fairly small stuff bag a little bigger than a loaf of bread.
Of course standing along side the freeway with traffic flying by and wind blowing putting on rain gear is a daunting task, but the Togg pants have zipper on the leg that goes half way up the leg for boots to slip through. The pants fit loose enough to fit over riding pants (mine have suspenders). Again tough material so you can get rough with it. The coat fits over your riding jacket easy to pull on.
Priced right around $85.
I like them because they are very compact they are priced right they are light they are easy to put on and take off they are weather proof they are a wind breaker and when it is cold out they help keep the chill off. I am in the Pacific northwest. If I were down south where weather is hotter I might have a different opinion. I do not leave home without them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Tourmaster Sentinel for me, works great. Add waterproof gloves and boots, good to go.

·
Registered
977 Posts
LL Bean "Trail Model" rain jacket & pants ($130).

WaterPROOF, BREATHABLE nylon, zipper front, velcro sleeve cuffs;

elastic waist, ZIPPERED pants cuffs (easy don over boots).

I wear the suit OVER my Motoport/Cycleport Ultra II Kevlar protective riding suit.

Comfortable, affordable and monsoon rain DRY.

·
Registered
314 Posts
TOURMASTER SENTINAL is our choice. My wife tried Frogg Toggs but the seams leaked. Frogg Togg has since released a rainsuit specifically for motorcycles. We have riden through some downpours a couple of times with our Tourmaster Sentinals and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Having rain flaps and velcro straps, they take a little time to get on. BUT THEY WORK GREAT!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Which Tourmaster?

...there are 3 models...any suggestions? The sentenial looks "boardy/stiff" but that's not necessarily bad...plenty of pockets too. Does it fold or suff to a small size? Comments on elite? Defender look too light.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A Wing provides a fair amount of protection and we have found the Frog Togs to work well and at a reasonable price. However, we have not ridden in all day downpours, just shorter ones.

There have been reports that the pants seam leaks if you are sitting in a puddle of water on the seat :( Probably the wooden bead seats would solve that issue.

If you watch the werbsite, they have had some clearance deals of mismatched color combinations at half price. We snatched up a couple of extras for in the car, camper, etc.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts