GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rain Gear

5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Strider 
#1 ·
Just would like to get some opinions on what we should buy for rain gear
Are frog toggs a good way to go or do you recommend a rain suit ( coverall type) or what is your favorite way to handle the rain ??
Fishinfred

#2 ·
Several people I know are high on Frogg Toggs. I use a Stearns rainsuit I've had for several years while fishing. Works good even in heavy rain.

Wife and I now have some Pac-Lite Goretex rainsuits sold by Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas but haven't had a chance to use them in the rain yet.

#3 ·
I have frogg toggs also they are kinda difficult to get the pants on. Have used them a couple of times. Today on the way home from Knoxville, Tenn developed a leak and my seat got wet......My next rain suit will be something different, I will look for rain pants easier to get on and off.
Good luck.....many opinions.

#6 ·
We live in Florida so it rains alot and we use the Sterns units. Find em at walmart.

Just bought another set today. (Mom needed a set as her old foul weather gear (for boating) doesn't fit her anymore.

WE MATCH!!! is that good? hahaha sheesh

LOVE the sterns units and have been in some VERY serious rain / wind! (Stayed dry too!)

The sterns units are geared twards the biker in many ways such as the bottom of the pant legs open uo with snaps so you can slide them over your shoes / boots. I am VERY happy with mine.

#8 ·
We have Seirra Designs pants and hooded jactets. We hiked inthe rain in them once and they worked well. Have not had the pleasure of riding with them yet. I'd prefer not too! Got em at rei.com.

#9 ·
My raingear is motorcycle-specific and durable. Frogg Togg, in addition to being very ill-fitting, has the abrasion resistance of toilet paper.

For summer use, I have Tourmaster Elite rainpants.
For winter, Firstgear HT Overpants.
For the top half both seasons, Joe Rocket Ballistic IV (only jacket I found that was a true 3XL-Tall).
Gloves are Aerostich triple digit rain covers over my regular gloves.

#10 ·
FROGG TOGGS, get a THUMB DOWN from Me! I wore mine 1 time in a heavy rain, well I just as well should'nt have. I got SOAKED. I have the Bib pants and Hooded Jacket. They might be good for camping but not for bikeing.

#14 ·
In the past, I always bought and wore motorcycle specific gear that was already waterproof, and this worked well as it prevented me from having to stop and put on rain gear if I ran into a brief shower.

However, all the waterproof riding gear I have ever used gets really HOT in warmer weather. I found I had to switch to mesh gear so I don't cook, and none of the mesh gear is waterproof unless you put a liner under it. And even then, the mesh will still get water soaked and becomes heavy and cold.

I feel that waterproof gear really needs to be the TOP layer of your gear if it is going to be worth wearing. So this year, I bought a set of Orange Frogg Toggs from Cgent on this board. I sprayed all the seams with waterproofing repelant just to hedge my bets after hearing reports of leaks from some folks.

Three weeks ago I rode right into the middle of a terrible thunderstorm trying to get into Kerrville to the GL1800 gathering. It was probably the worst rain I have ever ridden in. I also rode all day in and out of rain showers (400 miles), and the Frogg Toggs kept me completely dry all day long. I had them over the top of my normal riding pants, and mesh jacket, and the extra sizing allowed me to do that.

Maybe they will leak when they get worn some more, but so far I have not had one drip come through them anywhere that I can see. I also like the hi-viz orange color, and they really stand out in traffic, which is an added benefit. They pack real small too.

#15 ·
... So this year, I bought a set of Orange Frogg Toggs from Cgent on this board...They pack real small too.
... after months of reading how good the Toggs are I ordered some last week (Thank you Tom)
... ... then this post came up with all the negative Togg comments and I'm thinking I must have missed a memo somewhere.

Thank you Fred for the positive report.
Living in Florida I should have some first hand reports of my own pretty soon.

Dennis

#17 ·
well heres one no vote on frogg toggs

i have a nice pair of them and they suck

they are fine when it rains only a little

but when it acyualy rains

they fail every time

and the worst part is that the neck area doesnt have any way to make it cinch up, or tighten

this allows rain to get down the front of a shirt

and yes i tried them on befor ei purchased them

even got a different size top and bottom to fit me better

also they are very hard to get on

since the legs dont open very far at all

seeing as how most rain gear is put on under a bridge, or on the side of the road

its very hard to get on

if i put them on at the motel in the morning, before the boots go on, its much easier

but them i still get wet from the nonbreathing material

i perspire like a stuck razorback

many things mentioned on the board get a free pass as being great

frogg toggs are generaly held in that status

they didnt impress me at all

#18 ·
I will be sure to provide a long term update on them after I get some more miles on them in the rain. If they leak on me, you can bet you will hear about it.

FYI, the new Road Toads use a new hem on all the seams as well as have longer leg zipper. However, they don't make them in any color other than black. I feel rain gear should be brightly colored.

The ones I have are the older variety with the older seam style. The pair I bought my wife are the new ladies cut (purple) and have the new seams, so I will get a chance to test them both.

The only fly in the ointment, is my 376C allows me to go around the rain so well, that I may not get a chance to fully test them in a severe rain event unless I purposely ride into one just to test out my rain gear, which is not very likely.

#19 ·
Try REI.com

Bought coat and pants that are light, comfortable and they WORK!!! Also the pants have full zippers on the legs. Makes it real easy to put on.

#21 ·
Read somewhere if you put a plastic grocery sack over your boot before you put on the Frog Tog Pants, they go on smooth.

Of course, take the sack off the boot when you're done, unless, perhaps, you don't have waterproof boots! :lol:

#22 ·
I do my rain riding in a Nelson-Riggs two-piece suit. It is good quality material and plenty comfortable. I wish it had more reflective strips than what it has, but that's a small complaint.
The N-R suit does not stow into as small of a space as what a Frogg-Togg will. That is why I may try a Frogg-Togg the next time I get a suit. By the looks of it this N-R will last quite some time.

My favorite way to handle the rain? Curl up with the wifey, of course. That beats the beans out of getting out and riding in the rain.

FishinfrednNyra said:
Just would like to get some opinions on what we should buy for rain gear
Are frog toggs a good way to go or do you recommend a rain suit ( coverall type) or what is your favorite way to handle the rain ??
Fishinfred

#23 ·
loren said:
well heres one no vote on frogg toggs

i have a nice pair of them and they suck

they are fine when it rains only a little

but when it acyualy rains

they fail every time

and the worst part is that the neck area doesnt have any way to make it cinch up, or tighten

this allows rain to get down the front of a shirt

and yes i tried them on befor ei purchased them

even got a different size top and bottom to fit me better

also they are very hard to get on

since the legs dont open very far at all

seeing as how most rain gear is put on under a bridge, or on the side of the road

its very hard to get on

if i put them on at the motel in the morning, before the boots go on, its much easier

but them i still get wet from the nonbreathing material

i perspire like a stuck razorback

many things mentioned on the board get a free pass as being great

frogg toggs are generaly held in that status

they didnt impress me at all
I agree !.........Do yourself a favor and go to a major hunting store, Cabelas,Gander mountain etc. They have many differant types ? Colors etc. Don't spare the cost of a "Good" Two piece rain suit. There worth there weight in gold.......... :)

#24 ·
Aerostitch Darien jacket in high vis lime and darien pants. Nasty weather is exactly when you need to be most visible. These are very waterproof when maintained correctly. The excellent abrasion protection is darn nice as well.

G
#25 ·
Here is another :no: for Sogg Toggs , aside from looking like a tie die job left over from Woodstock , they leak and wear poorly .
I suppose if you never ride in the rain and get caught in the odd sprinkle then they are better then nothing but barely.

We ride with the two piece AeroStitch Darien , but they are big and bulky(nicely waterproof) . If we are going on a short run , we will wear the AeroStitch pants with a mesh jacket and liner and hope for the best . We also ALWAYS carry our Gerbings stuff as well .
:)

#26 ·
Strider said:
Here is another :no: for Sogg Toggs , aside from looking like a tie die job left over from Woodstock , they leak and wear poorly .
I suppose if you never ride in the rain and get caught in the odd sprinkle then they are better then nothing but barely.

We ride with the two piece AeroStitch Darien , but they are big and bulky(nicely waterproof) . If we are going on a short run , we will wear the AeroStitch pants with a mesh jacket and liner and hope for the best . We also ALWAYS carry our Gerbings stuff as well .
:)
I find this very interesting...you wear your liners all the time?...I guess if I know its going to rain all day...I wear my Motoport Ultra II Kevlar with waterproof liner....but if its a rain storm that I come upon....I don't spend the time on the side of the road to STRIP and put my liners on...so I have the Frogg Togg Road Toads to put on quickly...guess we MUST clarify our answers...JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.