GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my bike on rain-mode it just seems like the gearing is lower: it rides on a lower gear than even 'tour-mode'
Is that in order to activate the Traction Control?

What does rain-mode actually do?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Not the gearing but takes a little bit of the sting out of the power available, thus making it less likely to have the rear tyre brake free accelerating out of corners and the like. Many other bikes have it including a Triumph Tiger 800 for instance. On highway mode its a little too pokey for me in the rough stuff, on off road mode its a pleasure, not so much full on and much more manageable.

·
IronMan
17,531 Posts
IF WORKING CORRECTLY IT TELLS THE BIKE "ITS RAINING " 😂;) COULDN'T RESIST !

Reactions: Dougbug and Roadie

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not the gearing but takes a little bit of the sting out of the power available, thus making it less likely to have the rear tyre brake free accelerating out of corners and the like. Many other bikes have it including a Triumph Tiger 800 for instance. On highway mode its a little too pokey for me in the rough stuff, on off road mode its a pleasure, not so much full on and much more manageable.decoupled.
t.
I know on the DCT it goes into the upper gears at lower RPMs and stays there while slowing down before shifting to a lower gear. Definitely a lot harder to break the rear tire free. On my Valk I do the same with the manual transmission as well. I like riding in the rain and the DCT in Rain mode takes all the thinking and worry out of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I put my bike on rain-mode it just seems like the gearing is lower: it rides on a lower gear than even 'tour-mode'
Is that in order to activate the Traction Control?

What does rain-mode actually do?
I think you mean the gearing seems HIGHER, as it shifts into a higher gear at a lower RPM sooner to (hopefully) prevent tire spin...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had a great experience using Rain mode. I have told this story before but it is short - riding south on I 75 in Southern Kentucky there are several miles of tar snakes. I was in tour mode and it began raining hard. Traffic was heavy and I was trying to get over to the right hand lane and worried about cars passing, cars behind and between the heavy rain and tar snakes it was somewhat out of control. I put it in Rain mode and it was almost like being on dry pavement. I felt like I was riding with confidence in Rain mode and Tour mode was frightening. I am a believer that Rain mode adds a level of safety and confidence.

I did not mention, as most already know, I 75 in southern KY passes thru mountains, full of curves and hills. Beautiful area when the roads are dry and there is good visibility.

·
Vendor
21,950 Posts
If you ordered the rain option with your bike, the rain mode will slowly bring the rain to a stop once you engage it. However, leaving it on all the time can lead to drought conditions, so the owners manual cautions against doing that.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you ordered the rain option with your bike, the rain mode will slowly bring the rain to a stop once you engage it. However, leaving it on all the time can lead to drought conditions, so the owners manual cautions against doing that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's some funny stuff right there! (y)

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Not as funny as the remote start feature that I believe Fred let us in on back in the day when he had an orange 2001.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can see it coming in handy if the bike had to be ridden on a gravel road...my sister lives about 200 yards down a gravel road from a paved road, I would use it for that...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I can see it coming in handy if the bike had to be ridden on a gravel road...my sister lives about 200 yards down a gravel road from a paved road, I would use it for that...
Sometimes I ride out to a point on Lk Huron to watch sunset and drink a beer. The path is uneven and has sandy area's that get slightly squirrelly. I am guessing Rain mode could be helpful here too.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rain Mode increases the sensitivity of the ABS system and reduces torque to the rear wheel, minimizing the chances of breaking traction on wet roads.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Here in Aotearoa we are able to experience 4 seasons in 1 day.
My 09 8A has a locally supplied manual Rain Mode I attach to the throttle when leaving home.
I usually have it set about 6/10 to 8/10 or so.
I do ( manually ) back it off a little when its wet , slippery or a dodgy surface.
I don't bother messing with the ABS settings and leave them as is.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,295 Posts
Honestly I think the ride modes are just gimmicks..sport mode is a nice difference from tour mode, but the other modes, who needs them.
I have never in my life needed any different driving modes when riding in the rain and I have never have had any traction issues...the only time my back tire has broken loose on a wet road with the throttle is when I did it on purpose.
I guess my mind has been the ride mode in the past because when it rains I just don't go as fast on twisty roads in the wet. I dont accelerate fast, dont brake as hard. I ride easier for the wet conditions and just dont put myself in a situation where I have to brake hard while riding in the rain...so yea for me the ride modes except for sport and tour mode,are pretty much useless.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I like all the modes and use all of them. But I'm almost always in Tour.

Tour mode when normal everyday riding.

Sport mode when on pretty twisty roads and I want compression braking and get up and go out of the corners. Sport mode takes some getting use to but once you learn it. BOY IS IT FUN!

Econ mode....I use this around town when just cruising between lights and especially in 45 mph zones. Econ changes the shift points. In tour it wants to stay in 6th gear up until 48mph or so and if you fall back in speed just slightly, it will shift down to 6th. Wants to shift too much back and forth. In Econ mode the 7th gear shift point is just past 40mph so much less shifting up and down.

Rain mode I use the least and only if it's really raining but it does have a use as far as I am concerned. HSTC saved my behind on a wet road in an interstate turn in town when a truck wanted my lane. The bike was in a turn and I hit the gas to jump in front of the truck that wanted my lane. The rear end started to kick out in the hard rain and the traction control saved me. Seemed like the right move at the time to just jump in front of the truck but guess it wasn't. If not for the traction control, I'm pretty sure I would have gone down in heavy traffic in the rain on an interstate bridge. Probably would not have ended well. I was in tour and not in rain mode when this happened. But I think HSTC is on in all the modes unless you turn it off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I wish it had a "ready to rock " mode.

Even sport can be to reserved when the coffee kicks in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts