GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I am excited. I just got my Wing back from my painter, he did an awesome job. I can't wash and wax it yet to post a new picture of it however it looks great. I had it painted the same color and all of the blemishes have been removed. It looks like a brand new Wing. I can't wait to ride when this weather breaks! Anyways I'm planning on riding The Dragon in Mid April, planning on making a weekend out of it. My plan is to leave Friday April 11th from the Richlands area (near OAJ) and head toward the Dragon. Get a hotel room for the weekend, ride the Dragon, and other areas near by both 12th and 13th, then head back the morning of the 14th. My wife has given me the ok to have a weekend to myself, so I'm going whether anyone rides with me or not.... As many of you know these opportunities only come once in a blue moon... So far I have one possible buddy to ride with me. Does anyone have any suggestions on hotels/motels, places to eat, other places to ride near the Dragon? I have never been there I've been wanting to do this trip for a long time. I've seen the websites, seen the pictures, heard the rumors, and now I'm finally gonna do it. Hell with any luck I may even meet this Yellow Wolf I keep hearing about.... Heard he's a hellevah guy and an even better rider. Keep the Wings on 2 wheels and enjoy the weather when we have it!

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We like to stay at Maggie Valley. A lot to do there and good places to eat.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Check out the 2 wheel inn in Robinsville. Very nice and you even have a garage next to your room so your bike is safe and covered. It is only about 10 miles or so south of the dragon on 129.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Base out of Bryson City and ride all the good roads around here- hwy 28-Wayah rd-hwy 276-215-blue rideg pkwy- cherhola skyway etc. There are a lot more also.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I dont think there is any "bad" roads around there. If you dont like the one your on, just turn off on the next one!

·
Registered
102 Posts
How was your trip to the dragon? We will be in that area june 11-15 for our anual trip. We will be leaving the Raleigh area early that Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slaying the Dragon

The weekend of 11-14 April, a couple of buddies and I took a trip out to Tennessee to ride US 129 (The Dragon) and the countless other awesome roads out there. We logged about 1700 miles in 4 days. It was the first time I ever to my Wing on a road like that. So the first pass I was cautious as I went up the mountain. As I came back down the mountain I decided to push a little harder. The Wing took the 318 curves with ease. The next day we decided to go back to the Deal's Gap Resort, which meant... you guessed it The Dragon stood in our way again. As I went to the top I managed to get in a rhythm carving through the corners scraping pegs and occasionally the frame. By the time I got to the top I felt truly felt like I slayed The Dragon. I bought a few souvenirs at the resort. Only this time on the way back down I decided it was time to enjoy a nice leisurely pace back down the mountain. Only the Wing didn't agree... I got about half way down and found myself back in that same rhythm as on the way up and before I knew it I felt and heard the scraping of the pegs. I could go on and on about not just The Dragon but all the roads in that area. It was just an amazing weekend. If you haven't experienced US 129 (The Dragon) yet I highly recommend the ride, for those of you that have slayed The Dragon you know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't wait to do it again.

I bought some awesome pictures from killboy.com, us129photos.com, and 129slayer.com which in time I'll post on here. I'm currentlynot able to due to being in California for some training but I'll post them when I get back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts