GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rain-X

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  TexWalter 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Rain-X is a great product for glass. It make the water bead up and run off. On a car you may not even need the windshield wipers.

However, the formulation has an adverse effect on the plastic materials used in motorcycle windshields. Specificly, the hard coating on the plastic can be yellowed or degraded.

There a re other products, Novus comes to mind, that also work well and are safe for use on plastic surfaces.

#6 ·
The word "glass" was mentioned 9 times before the pictures. Did not see plastic mentioned so I will stay away from it.
Folks....this post was asking if anyone has used this product. I realize it's not made for plastic. I'm not inferring that it can be used for anything other than automotive windshields. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

#7 ·
I use it on my cage and have their additive in the windshield wiper reservoir and it works great. I also use it in the house. I have a glass shower enclosure and use it on the inside to prevent soap and scale build up. After showering a quick squeegee and the glass stays looking great. I clean the glass and reapply it once a month.

Oh, I did ruin a windshield with it once though.

Walt

#8 ·
I use it on the cages. One application lasts about a year. Follow the instructions to a T. Takes about 30 minutes to apply properly. Do a google search and you can find it for close to $5 an application. Hope that helps. ;)

#13 ·
Don't Use Rain-X

On anything else but glass, this solvent will damage plastic and melt selected rubber components. :eek:4:

#15 ·
#16 ·
What happened? If you can ruin a windshield, maybe I'll pass....
The windshield ended up with streaks on it. It looked like I had wiped it off with a dirty rag. No amount of cleaning and polishing ever brought the windshield back to clear again. I ended up having to replace it. Lesson learned.

Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.