GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Bad, very bad. It is not for use on plastics, it will ruin it. Use Plexus or non abrasive car wax or Pledge.....Not Rain-X

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good on glass, BAD on plastic. Bottle says do not apply to plastic if ya read the label. Works on glass boat windshields very well as they constantly get water on them.

On a side note, do not use anything with amonia in it to clean your motorcycle windshield. The amonia will cloud/haze the plastic. if your on the cheap $$ use Sparkle (the purple bottle) to clean and then lemon pledge to get the plastic shield like new again. Lemon pledge also works great for the plastic screens on GPS, Fishfinder, depth guage, fairings, saddle bags, etc.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Oh, Rain-X works on plastic windshields just fine. It makes the water bead up and stream off the top like crazy. You just have to replace the windscreen when their surface becomes crazed and opaque and you can't see through them any more! (which is quite often!) :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Last time I talked to a Tulsa rep at a rally, he said Rain X did more for their windshield sales than anything...NO, they don't recommend it...it's just that so many people unknowingly ruined their bike shields with it!! :shock:

B

·
0 Posts
You can use Rain-X on a F4-Customs windshield. I do it all the time, front and back. You can also use lacquer thinner, acetone or battery acid on it without hurting it, although I doubt they would recommend doing it. Acetone takes tar off easily without damage.

www.f4customs.com

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have been using Rain-X car wax on my windshield for almost 4 years without any kind of issue.

·
Registered
310 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
I have been using Rain-X car wax on my windshield for almost 4 years without any kind of issue.
Three years for me. It works fine and has not hurt the plastic at all, still crystal clear - stock shield. Call the Mythbusters.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have a friend that use to use Windex on his windshield. I sugested he not use it, that it might damage it. He said he's used it for years with no problem. Well it took years, but it did ruin his windshield. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Art H. said:
I have a friend that use to use Windex on his windshield. I sugested he not use it, that it might damage it. He said he's used it for years with no problem. Well it took years, but it did ruin his windshield. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
It is a sheet of plastic that gets sandblasted every time you ride. How long should it last? What exactly did the Windex do to the windshield?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rain -X

I am reading the replies and xomewhere along the line it shifted from Rain-x windshield treatment to Rain-x wax. That's two differtent products. In no way should you use Rain-x windshield treatment on plastic windshield. They have or had a product for plastic but primarily directed at the aircraft industry, used it on our corporate jet windscreens. If you want it go visit your local airport parts supplier. As I recall it came in a blue squeese bottle. Personally I use a Product called Prist acrylic, plastic and glass cleaner. Can't go wrong works on anything.
Tom

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Re: Rain -X

tom smith said:
I am reading the replies and xomewhere along the line it shifted from Rain-x windshield treatment to Rain-x wax. That's two differtent products. In no way should you use Rain-x windshield treatment on plastic windshield. They have or had a product for plastic but primarily directed at the aircraft industry, used it on our corporate jet windscreens. If you want it go visit your local airport parts supplier. As I recall it came in a blue squeese bottle. Personally I use a Product called Prist acrylic, plastic and glass cleaner. Can't go wrong works on anything.
Tom
I think the stuff you are thinking about is made by 3M. They have a cleaner and polish that was marked as "#2" and "#4" (if I remember right) in yester years and came in blue plastic squeeze bottles. The following link shows their current packaging and names:
http://www.autogeek.net/3mplascleanp.html

I work around US Navy F/A-18 jet aircraft and they use some government issued, National Stock Numbered, stuff that looks and applies just like the 3M products, except it is in a different container with typically military labeling. Being located out in the desert, the canopies of our jets take a real beating and unless something hits it, they seems to stay crystal clear using that stuff.

I have used the 3M products and was very happy with the results. I had used Rain-X on my 89 GL-1500 and after a couple of years, I started to develop a haze or fogging of my windshield. After several applications of the 3M #4 polish and then the 3M #2 cleaner, I got most of the clarity to return.

I now use Rain Magic in place of Rain-X:
http://www.rainmagic.com/
This stuff does basically the same thing but it is specifically made for motorcycle windshields and touts that it will not harm the optical qualities of your bike's shield. I have used it about a year and I have seen no hazing or fogging on my bike. Besides that, it has a really cool looking label! :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts