GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rain-X

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  cowhidecovers 
#1 ·
I wear a shoie x-11 when raining or cold. Are there any do's or dont's for keeping water off sheild? I've tried honda polish but does'nt bead off that well. I was thinking about trying Rain-X but not sure if it might damage shield.

#3 ·
Don't use Rain-X it's made for glass not plastic. Certainly don't use it on your windshield. I use Plexus on the face shields and windshield. It repells water pretty well. I have been known to clean my windshield and face shield in the rain. It really makes a difference.

#7 ·
I gotta say this about a specific RainX product. I recently purchased a pair of their windshield wipers for my car. Nearly $50. They were the worst windshield wipers I have ever had on my car. They streaked like they were 100 years old. One night, in the rain, the windshield was so smeared that I turned across a center concrete median that I couldn't see.

Auto Zone took them back and replaced them with Bosch.

#8 ·
One real-world, first-hand data point:

I have an older (mid-90s) Arai helmet.

I use Rain-X on the shield (the standard Rain-X, made for glass). It works very well for increasing visibility through the shield in the rain.

No problems noted after years of this practice.

YMMV!

#9 ·

I use Rain-X on the shield (the standard Rain-X, made for glass). It works very well for increasing visibility through the shield in the rain.

YMMV!
If your shield is still on from the mid 90's, I :bow: to you my friend...I can not keep them longer then 6 months before they get scratched to hell..

#10 ·

YMMV!
You are either LUCKY, or their has been a formula change. Original Rain-X even said on the bottle not to use it on plexyglass or lexan. By the way mid-90's? Your helmet has far outlasted its usefull life span. Want to see you around, so get a new lid.

#12 ·
Plexus or Novus or whatever works well but half the time I use Meguiars carnuba wax topcoat or watever other carnuba wax I happen to have on hand. Also use this on windshields. The water beads up and blows off.

Of course - ya gotta have the surface very clean to use the wax because it doesn't do any cleaning. Careful not to use a cleaner wax !

The Plexus or Novus gives a nice clean & shine...... and is supposed to be anti-fog and a bunch of other stuff. :shrug:

#13 ·
Wow I've had my shield for 5 years and it is still great. I look out past the shield and not at the shield so i donot see the minor scratches. Pledge works well and so does plastex that i use on the windshield

#16 ·
I recommend Brillianize....it's specifically designed for plastic and water beads up just like rain X does on your car windshield. It can be found on my website with free shipping.

Ron DeLaughter
Cowhide Covers
www.cowhidecovers.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.