GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've had lots of different rainsuits, none of which I really liked. Generally they stop the rain (some do better than others with the seams, especially in the pants in the crotch area) but most become unbearable the instant the rain stops. Since I mostly ride in the summer, when the rain stops it rarely seems to be much cooler, only more humid than before the rain, and I can't wait to get out of the rainsuit. I bought a set of Frog Togs that seem to be able to "breathe" a bit, but they really do not seem designed for riding at other than slow speeds. Even with the wind protection of the Goldwing's fairing, the Frog Tog jacket billowed up and made me feel like the Michelin man in a recent rainstorm. So I'm looking for some suggestions, even though I suspect that any two piece suit that keeps me dry will also roast me inside like a sauna when the sun comes back out. So if I have to take the bad with the good, I'd hope to get something that doesn't leak and is not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
324 Posts
KLIM Gore-Tex Jacket and pants. Quality gear with a great warranty and extremely durable.

I just saw the last line of your post about wanting something not too expensive. The KLIM gear is not inexpensive but it won't roast you to death when the rain stops. Most things in life require decisions to be made. Yours is having to choose one being inexpensive or one being top quality. I won't say its impossible to have both but it's highly unlikely.

Beagle

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Over the years I've had lots of different rainsuits, none of which I really liked.

not too expensive. Any suggestions?

I would imagine if you are like I was, you have already spent a considerable amount of money on “cheap” uncomfortable rainsuits.

Goretex cannot be beat. Expensive up front, but my Klim jacket and pants have lasted well over 300k miles in comfort and is still going strong. When the rain hits, just close the zippers.

I ride in my Klim gear if it is 100 or 20 degrees. Above 95 or cold rain, I close the zippers.

In my mind, quality is always superior to quantity.

My last “cheap” fix went out the window 2 weeks ago. For many years I used rubber gloves over my riding gloves during rain. But the rubber gloves were tight and squeezed my hands.

I bought a pair of Klim goretex gloves.

Good luck on your search for the proverbial unicorn.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I only occasionally get caught in the rain, so rain gear is not high on my priority list. Even back when I was putting 20K a year on the bike it wasn't a big priority. Nowadays I wear it more often as a wind break when it is cold. So, I go for the cheap stuff, like $50 rain suits.

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
504 Posts
While I do have a Gore-Tex suit (jacket and pant) from Dainese which is rather on the high side of the price scale (Gran Turismo), I don't usually wear it as it rarely rains here and I do not go out riding if it is already raining. I wear leathers so in case I am out and get caught in some rain, I carry a set of Highway Toads from Frogg Toggs. If I recall, the jacket/pant set was around 150.00 or so.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations. I already have a Klim mesh jacket, and while much more expensive that some other mesh jackets I own, it is unquestionably the best such jacket I have ever owned. So even though I may not often need a rain jacket, I think I will go with the Klim GoreTex jacket at $200 but stay with my cheaper Frog Togs pants because it doesn't really bother me to have my legs feel hot. I'm hoping size wise that the same size that works for me in the mesh jacket will work in the rain jacket.

Reactions: shojac

·
Registered
360 Posts
Motoport rain gear. Breaths much better than most of the stuff out their.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
About 50,000 miles ago, I got into the ATGATT mentality, and wear Darien jacket and pants. As mentioned above, when it rains I just close the zippers.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Over the years I've had lots of different rainsuits, none of which I really liked. Generally they stop the rain (some do better than others with the seams, especially in the pants in the crotch area) but most become unbearable the instant the rain stops. Since I mostly ride in the summer, when the rain stops it rarely seems to be much cooler, only more humid than before the rain, and I can't wait to get out of the rainsuit. I bought a set of Frog Togs that seem to be able to "breathe" a bit, but they really do not seem designed for riding at other than slow speeds. Even with the wind protection of the Goldwing's fairing, the Frog Tog jacket billowed up and made me feel like the Michelin man in a recent rainstorm. So I'm looking for some suggestions, even though I suspect that any two piece suit that keeps me dry will also roast me inside like a sauna when the sun comes back out. So if I have to take the bad with the good, I'd hope to get something that doesn't leak and is not too expensive. Any suggestions?
Go to Academy store or sporting goods store and try them on.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Riding suit by FirstGear for all weather conditions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I came off a HD Street Glide. Harley was discounting rain gear so I got the Hi- vis version. That was several years ago. The 2 piece suit is in great condition. Must look funny to see me going down the road with a hi-vis orange rain suit with Harley Davidson on the back riding a 2015 Gl1800

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Harley Rain Gear works extremely well for me. Multiple days on end of heavy rain; and not a drop has yet to make it through.

If you can still find one, the "official" Harley name for the one I have is: "Overpass II Rain Suit" The Harley Part Number is/was: 98059-11VM

A few pictures attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the solid Firstgear textile jacket, I call that good enough.

I have a set of L.L. Bean Gortex rain gear that I wear under my mesh jacket and pants if needed. Compact and usable for other things as well.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I fought rain gear for too many years. I gave up and just spent the money and got an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. Not cheap by any means, but I look at it over time. Had it 10yrs now, so about $110 a year investment, barely a quarter a day. I wear it all year around. People think I'm pretty goofy in 100 degree temps, but I don't care, I am goofy. It works real nice for me.
Last time my wife and I fought those Frogg Toggs there was like 45mph wind, and hers blew down the highway, my feet got tangled in mine and I fell down on the road, and after all that I was soaked in the seat after the day was done. No more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was looking to replace my old cheap Frogg Toggs with something better, I then found new Frogg Toggs PILOT ILLUMINATOR JACKET and PILOT II™ RIDER'S PANT with Lifetime warranty. I have use these some but not in really severe rain yet but do like them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I came off a HD Street Glide. Harley was discounting rain gear so I got the Hi- vis version. That was several years ago. The 2 piece suit is in great condition. Must look funny to see me going down the road with a hi-vis orange rain suit with Harley Davidson on the back riding a 2015 Gl1800
I had a 2009 Road King. I also bought the hi-viz HD 2-piece rain suit (believe it was around $180-$200). It's actually a good suit, plus I have the gators for my feet. I now ride a 2018 'Wing and have in fact ridden in heavy rain with the HD suit on while riding my 'Wing. I am thinking of switching to Aerostich (Darien jacket and pants) or maybe Motoport or Klim. Several of my riding buddies wear Aerostitch. Quality over quantity. I had a Frog Toggs suit and burned the leg on the RK while in a rain storm up in Tennessee. Was a PIA to get the melted material off the pipes (copper penny worked great but took time - copper is softer than chrome and won't scratch it).

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Sterns breathable rain suit from Walmarts sporting goods department. I like it much better that frog togs and it keeps me dryer. Since the exhaust runs below the pegs I dont have to worry about it melting. Light weight and compact. I don't recall how much it cost but I think it was less than $40.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts