GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let all you guys and gals wondering if raking you trike is really worth it that it is!!! I'm here to tell you it's worth every cent and if you do it yourself like I did then it's worth the hours invested.

I bought two GL1800 4.5 degree kits from Adventure Motorsports and installed one kit on a friend's '05 GL1800 last week. he was extremely pleased with the outcome.

Yesterday after our morning ride I started in on my '06. In addition to the rake kit I also rebuilt the forks, installed progressive springs and replaced the Bridgestone 709 with a BT45 (reverse rotation). Time wise I spent about six hours yesterday and a little over seven hours today. After I got things together I took a quick check ride to see if I was as happy as my friend. YUP -- HAPPY is a good word...

Here's the differences I found. I really tried to be objective and even looked for negative changes which I did not find.

1. Steering effort was so much improved even I couldn't believe it.

2. Cornering is much quicker and easy to do full 90 degree turns (no more lazy corners)

3. Once out on the highway I found it easier to maintain smooth and straight travel.

4. The wind didn't blow me around as much and it took almost no effort to correct when it did.

5. Even though I installed stiffer front springs, the added 3 inch wheel base made the ride smoother.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Without a doubt, the best addition I have made to my trike is the 5.5 degree rake kit.

As for the 90 degree turns, I do them all of the time to the astonishment of most of the two-wheelers who ride with me.

My shoulders and upper arms and neck are filled with arthuritus and the rake kit plus MBL risers make turning the trike a pleasant experience.

S

·
0 Posts
That's a pretty simple fix then and I have heard from just about everyone that it is the way to go.

We have a Trike builder near by in Faribault MN (Trikes Bikes and Autos) who does a lot of GL trikes. I believe he adds the rake kit on all his too.

On the RT the rake (caster) is just the opposite. More caster and the machine wants to go only straight so it's stable but steers hard as you get more feedback in a turn and the faster the corner the more it says NO!
Less caster and it steers light and easy but tends to wander all over the road and even does the Burt Monroe shuffle.
On mine 12 degrees turned out to be the compromise that worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts