GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new Gold Wing trike rider. If I could only go to one event this year should I choose the Honda Hoot, Wing Ding, or Americade? Thanks for you input. Of some other event?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing you and what you like. Any answer anybody gives you would be what they like and based on their own biases.

If you want to ride to a rally and spend time there attending conferences, riding classes, first aid classes, visiting tons of vendors, attending functions and meeting lots of people, then Wing Ding might be good for you.

If you're not in to the above then another rally might be in order. If you want to ride to the rally, ride during the rally and ride from the rally (ride, ride, ride) than any rally would be good. The area may be important to you as well. Wing Ding isn't in the West very often... :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Research and time to figure out what is good for ya and there will be all kinds of stuff hrown yer way here. :roll:
Just so I don't disappoint WA I have to throw in my solar plexus shot at the vest and cowboy hatters, to get in with those folks ya need to find a chapter, spend some time with 'em to see if that's yer cup o' tea. :wink:
To each their own but check out many venues first, it can get expensive quickly. 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, let me add more about me. I would like to be able to visit numerous vendors, attend seminars, do some riding. I am a single in my 50's and do worry that a lot of the honda events are for couples. shelley

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
******* Dave said:
Just so I don't disappoint WA I have to throw in my solar plexus shot at the vest and cowboy hatters, to get in with those folks ya need to find a chapter, spend some time with 'em to see if that's yer cup o' tea. :wink:
:lol: There's always a couple people here I can count on! :wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shelley,

Just an opinion here, I see your on the West Coast. If traveling isn't a problem for you, I made the HOOT last year and had a great time. Will be back there this year too. Had lots of vendors, test rides of different bikes, and lots of great rides all around TN, KY, NC, GA.

The WingDing is in Montanna this year which is closer for you. WingDing was in Nashville last year, same as the HOOT, lots to do and see. Never been to Americade so I can't comment on it.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
The most Honda type vendors are at the Hoot and Americade....and WD
I've been to both along with Daytona and Sturgis...and Wing Ding in Ft Wayne IN...

I would rate the riding areas as:
1: Hoot in Knoxville, Smokey Mt's area.
2. Americade and the NY, Vermont, NH area...
3. Sturgis and the Black Hills, maybe this should be 2nd....toss up
4. Dayton, too congested for me.

I love the Smokey's, I'm close to the area and go there several times a year...I also like Americade and that area, but the 1st week in June can be crummy as for the weather.....

I would suggest that for your first rally, maybe come to Cats Cade in NY, meet some of the board members, enjoy the rides around the area, then slid over to Americade for a day pass and check out the vendors, two rallies in one, win win situation.... :D

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Shelley said:
OK, let me add more about me. I would like to be able to visit numerous vendors, attend seminars, do some riding. I am a single in my 50's and do worry that a lot of the honda events are for couples. shelley
Well, then I'd recommend Wing Ding.

I am the Helena GWRRA Chapter Director - I started the chapter just over a year ago. I don't own a cowboy hat or any goofy clothes (or do I??? :shock: ) but I do like my leather vest, pins and patches. I'm single too and so are many in our chapter. Most activites do seem to be couples thing - but so what? I'm all for them having their fun. I have my fun too.

I've read a lot about "snobbish" chapters but in the Northwest, I just haven't seen it. I was kind of shy and kept to myself but I was drawn right out of my old comfort zone and into starting a new chapter by these people. :lol: Maybe I'm just lucky to live in this region but I've never felt like an outsider at any function.

This upcoming Wing Ding will be my first and I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: Are you female? I have two ladies in my local chapter who are ... I won't mention ages but I'm 40 and younger ... who ride. One rides a trike and the other a nice 1100. Both will be in Billings. :wink:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
William Anzik said:
Well, then I'd recommend Wing Ding.
Me too! I recommend Wing Ding due to it's location for riding and the fact that it is a beautiful area. To the south you have the Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and to the north and west you have Glacier National Park.

Wing Ding will have lots of vendors and a lot of activities for everyone to enjoy. Some people get hung up on some of the vendors selling other things than motorcycle accessories. That does not bother me. If I would be interested, I would stop, look and buy, if not interested I would simply move on. There are lots more things to do than to shop for chrome. I look forward to the entertainment, meeting up with old friends and making new ones as we move around the rally site.

Billings is the place to be.

:D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have to agree with KyBlue - CatsCade followed by Americade. You'll see a lot of the board members at CatsCade and have a GREAT time. And Bulldog says that it is LastCade!!! :(

It would be quite a trip for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You need to know that some people that have recommended Wing Ding on this thread have not even been to any of the events you listed including Wing Ding. I have been to a few Wing Dings and to Americade. Americade wins hands down. I am also 100% positive that the Hoot would be a very good rally for you to attend. If you want to just meet people who wear clown suits and vendors that sell kitchen wares along with other none motorcycle items then I would recommend Wing Ding. The name says it all. I have also been to a bunch of other rallies you did not list so I will not say anything about them.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
BlueWing said:
You need to know that some people that have recommended Wing Ding on this thread have not even been to any of the events you listed including Wing Ding.
And you didn't read the thread to find out what kinds of things the OP is interested in and did exactly what I said people would do in the second post.

I asked questions before making any recommendation and based my recommendation on what the OP answered. I didn't do any insulting or whining. I also mentioned that the upcoming Wing Ding will be my first so I didn't try to mislead anybody.

I could use a good set of pots and pans. :lol:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I think Wing Ding is the largest and will have more Goldwings. Every major Goldwing tire and accessory dealer will be there.

I've been to Americade and it was nice but nothing like Wing Ding. Plus, Wing Ding will be a pretty good ride for a lot of people.

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
Shelly,

Hi Sheila here. I have been to all three of the major rallies that you mentioned and I would recommend the Hoot over the other two.

The Hoot has both vendors for you and the bike. It is in a great area and you can meet folks from this board at Hals breakfast and I think a bar b q that Lewis (Electrical connection) is going to have. This is really a mixed bike brand rally. In my opinion it is the rally with the best chance of having great weather. It is also probably the rally where you will see the most women riders.

Americade is a great rally but you are really taking a chance with the weather. There will be lots of vendors at Americade, both for the 1800 and for you. If you go to Americade come to Cats cade the weekend before and you can meet a lot of folks from this board. It is a great time.

Wing ding is a Goldwing specific rally and IT IS mostly couples, and men. You will see less women riders here than the other two rallys. Unless you get with a chapter first, as a woman you will spend a lot of your time alone. My husband rides very little and when I go to Gwrra things by myself I usually get ignored, and this is with folks that know both me and my husband.( To be fair that might also have to do with the fact that I get along better with the men than I do women so I rub some women the wrong way) Wing ding does have lots of vendors and you can get about anything done to the bike that you want. They also have some pretty cool seminars. To go to wing ding you have to give up your 4th of July holiday since they always hold this rally then. It can be very Hot at this rally. IF Wing ding is the one you want to go to I hear that rooms are getting scarce so you might want to make plans soon.

I will probably make all 3 for at least a couple of days so I hope to meet you around some time :)

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
THANK YOU Sheila!!!!!!!!!
Shelly, Sheila is VERY WELL informed. If she says the Hoot is the best of the three then you can take her word that it truly is the best rally!!!!!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
She does appear very well informed and shows a desire to help with a well thought out post as opposed to using the question as an opportunity to spit venom and insult other riders. So I agree.

Nice post, Sheila. :clap2: :yes1:

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
I agree for me the Hoot wins hands down, but then I love that area....so I didn't want to say that...

The Wing Ding may be closer to you, you didn't say how long you plan to ride, if you're retired and time is not a issue.....

I think you would enjoy any of them, I just like the Hoot best.

This year is my first Cats Cade and I'm really looking forward to that, can't wait to meet the board members and ride the area......

Then again, the Hoot will have lots of board members also, with Hal's breakfest and the BBQ......

The weather is better durning the Hoot.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts