GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 DCT has the Goldstrike ball mount cup holder on the right side. The ball is not compatible with the traditional Ram Ball system and I don't want to mount any more items on the right side. I would like to add a Ram Ball to the left side but the CB controls take up the space where a Ram Ball could be mounted if there were no CB. Have any of you with the factory CB mounted a Ram Ball on the left side? Where did you mount it? Some pictures would be helpful too.

Picts below.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I mounted my ram ball using a “U” bolt around the handle bar. To the right of the CB switches . I put apiece of rubber where the “U” bolt contacts the handle bar to prevent chaffing

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
4 Pt roller, I tried one of those clamps , but it hit the instrument panel at full right turn

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used a ram mount for the right side and made 4 pieces of flat metal for spacers. There is a anti rotation tab on the left controls housing, one short piece for spacer and one long piece to capture the tab top and bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found at Wing Ding a unit Similar to Robma's part featured in the youtube video above. The model I bought is # VX-GWDCT from Vizon-X Fine Motorcycle Accessories.

With the CB controls, that rules out one of the mount locations.
The lower screw, IMHO, locates the ball at a very low position.

I took my 1" belt grinder and tapered the shoulder below the ball so I could mount it in the upper switch assemble screw hole. The area outside the screw hole is tapered, so I had to taper the shoulder. At full right turn of the bars, there is about 2" clearance between the ball and the dash area. See picts below. I think this will work for me.

Thanks for all your input. I really like how fellow 1833 riders step in to give a hand when needed.

Greg

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts