GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll figure out how to make it if I have to ... but does anyone know of someone selling Ram Ball mounts attached to the top of brake or clutch reservoirs?

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
But both of those look to fit earlier model wings not the '18+

anyone try them on the new '18+?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered one and when it arrives I will shape it to the new reservoir. AFAIK, none have been made specifically for the 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,328 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered one and when it arrives I will shape it to the new reservoir. AFAIK, none have been made specifically for the 18.

give us a pic when ya get it on there... Please and thank you ... :D

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Looks like cap is re-used - 2010 thru 2014 VFR1200F is original bike it was designed for.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like cap is re-used - 2010 thru 2014 VFR1200F is original bike it was designed for.

thought it looked familiar... doubt anyone made ram mounts for em.. just not enough sales... and I don't think they got the cult following that say the ST's did..

won't stop me from looking though..

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sitting it on top of 18 clutch, looks like plenty of adjustment to fit.

I have one on my FJR that I test fit on the front brake reservoir of the 18 DCT, and it fits. A little hangs off the edge, so I’m going to see if I can shape it a little when I get the new one.

Reactions: Woodsracer1

·
Registered
791 Posts
Please guys, do not use the reservoir cover screws to mount anything. They are very small. They have little thread engagement. They are perfectly fine for holding down a two ounce aluminum cover that sees no force opposing gravity. They are not fine for holding a GPS, a phone or practically anything of any mass especially with any offset or torque. No need to risk damaging this most important safety feature by stripping the threads or even just allowing a wee bit of water intrusion.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes - RAM sells them directly.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-346U

Yes and I bought two of them. But don't use the as I originally bought them for. I now us one mounted to my ram mount arm attached to the handlebar as normally done and use it to mount my TPMS to.

The intended use is to bolt the flat part to the top of the clutch or brake reservoirs with ball upwards then a ram mount arm attaches to it and the device. The parts come with lots of screws of different sizes and even small spacers for the screws to keep the base of the mount off the reservoir caps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Please guys, do not use the reservoir cover screws to mount anything. They are very small. They have little thread engagement. They are perfectly fine for holding down a two ounce aluminum cover that sees no force opposing gravity. They are not fine for holding a GPS, a phone or practically anything of any mass especially with any offset or torque. No need to risk damaging this most important safety feature by stripping the threads or even just allowing a wee bit of water intrusion.
That is why I no longer use the ones I have as intended. The screws are really small in diameter and with any force can easily pull the inserted nut out of the housing. I don't know what you call those nuts but they can pull out with either a strong hit or force from the sides or if you over tighten them they will pull out. They use to use these type of screws/nuts on the original Valkrie Fairings and guys were coming into the shop all the time wanting replacements.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts