attachment to begin with

- I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere where
a coffee cup holder doesn't work with the 3" extension or
am I wrong this?

thanks....Ken

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The RAM-B-309-1 has a single ball on the top and an opening that allows for adding a second ball at any time.

The 309-2 has both balls installed from the factory.

The 309-6 unit has both balls cast in place (the second ball can't be removed)

I'm not sure which drink holder you plan on using, but the RAM version works with their arms (obviously :) )

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I got the 309-2. Actually, I got 2 of them. Mounted on both sides plus a mount that I had installed to the rear of the ignition switch. (To the rear of the ignition switch means towards my belly. :lol: )

I figured that it was better to start out with all the balls that I could think I would need. Did I say that right? :?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ram

I found the three inch arm has a lot of vibration i would go with the shot one.I sold my ram mount and went with the EK mount love it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I had to use the short arm on the handlebar mount.

I am using the medium length arm on the "tank" mount. It has a smoother ride than the handlebars and I get to use the spring loaded arm.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I too use the short Ram arm for a Garmin 2720 but use a long arm(5 1/4 " I think) for my camera or video unit

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just installed them myself

I ordered 2 Ram mount units, one for each side. I also just ordered the short extensions. I have a Garmin C330 GPS and I mounted this on the right side. I did order the cupholder and it is ok...does work.

I didnt order the extra ball that goes in the center and have found that I DONT need it. I did something clever that someone suggested on this site. in the center hole (on the right side), I put a small push switch hard wired to a garage door transmitter (Which I mounted under the front cowl). It looks GREAT.

Loren

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have the two ball system on the left side and have my 2610 mounted straight up from the top ball. I'll use the lower one to mount my bracket to hold my phone. I'm not a big fan of radar detectors so these two do the trick for me. I have a cup/bottle holder on the right side so I'm all set.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The more balls you have, the more options you have. :?

The lower balls do not get in the way. If you don't use them, they don't get in the way. You never know when you will need those extra balls.

I have run 2 GPS units and a cup holder at the same time. I have since mounted my favorite GPS unit on the cowl to the rear of the ignition switch. It rides smoother there and I have been able to use the medium length arm without vibration.

You just never know when you will need the options.

Right now, I don't have a need for the garage door opener remote to be concealed on the bike.

How about this:
2 GPS units
1 cup holder
1 camera mount

·
Registered
366 Posts
lorenedopp,
I have a Garmin C330 GPS and I mounted this on the right side.
Watch out for rain -- the C330 is not waterproof to the (typical) IPX7 specification (submerged 30 minutes at 1m)...!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
For rain protection take along some of the Zipper Loc bags. Maybe a few rubber bands.

I like to take the bags just in case I need them for something. The sandwich size are handy for holding most anything that you might have trouble finding. A few of the quart size are good to have along.

These are the Zipper Loc, not the Zip Loc.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Here's my setup using the short extension with the radar and GPS all coming through the headset intercom. All have independant volume controls. The XM comes through the the aux imput. All Kennedy stuff. Works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts