GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somewhere on here I thought I saw a ram ball mounted on top of the clutch or brake reservoir cover. I did a search and gave up after awhile. Is this a strong enough place to mount a small gps or radar detector. Also where can it be bought or is it a do it yourself drill a hole and bolt it together type of a thing. thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats one that I have seen, the other one had the ball mounted in the center.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Fred, yours is the one I have seen before. nice job. did you use anything to seal the hole where the bolt came threw. I like this mount it seem to put things close but not to far either and without alot of other adaptors, a cleen look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fred,
When you drill through the cap don't you have to seal the hole around were the bolt comes out.
If so what kind of sealant did you use.

Thanks,
Winger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to revive an old thread or anything, but looking to do the same on my clutch cover. Where can I get a ball mount with a stud like that? Also how long does the stud ham have to be?

·
Registered
700 Posts
somewhere on here I thought I saw a ram ball mounted on top of the clutch or brake reservoir cover. I did a search and gave up after awhile. Is this a strong enough place to mount a small gps or radar detector. Also where can it be bought or is it a do it yourself drill a hole and bolt it together type of a thing. thanks
I’m not a fan of that type of install. Others have answered where or how to get/make those. But you also asked, is it strong enough? IMO, no.

That piece of metal (aluminum I believe, not the strongest of metals) is held in place with just two small, short, thread machine screws, and you’d be putting a top heavy load onto it. Maybe the cover can take the static load, anyone who has done that install will certainly say yes. I’d also worry about bumping it with my helmet or it getting hit with something that might crack or bend the reservoir cap, and that could ruin your day or trip. Finally, unless the hole is sealed I think air and the moisture in it, or even flowing water from heavy rain, could enter.

Yes, I did read the earlier replies about the internal reservoir seal. Just consider this my opinion.

·
Registered
628 Posts
FWIW this is how I did it. Ram mount B-346U will not sit flat on the OEM brake or clutch reservoir because of the domed shape of the GW cover so I swapped it with a

FWIW this is how I did it. Ram mount B-346U will not sit flat on the OEM brake or clutch reservoir because of the domed shape of the GW cover so I swapped it with the flat-topped one that comes on almost every late model Honda motorcycle except the Goldwing. It's Honda part number 45513-MM5-016. The Ram part comes with longer screws that thread further down into the reservoir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts