GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How does this mount to the clutch reservoir?
Do the long screws replace the original clutch reservoir screws :shrug:

I thought I would need a Ram ball mount on the reservoir lid?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
This set up usually comes with SAE (for harley's) and Metric long screws. They replace the OEM screws.

A good set up!

Bulldog

·
Registered
654 Posts

How does this mount to the clutch reservoir?
Do the long screws replace the original clutch reservoir screws :shrug:

I thought I would need a Ram ball mount on the reservoir lid?
Yep, thats exactly what they do. Takes more time to open the package than it does to mount the part.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Onewayblues,

As others have said, the supplied RAM metric bolts replace the factory bolts. The kit has four bolts -- two are metric and two are SAE. Make sure you have selected the correct metric bolts...!

Remove the plastic trim plugs over factory bolts. Remove the upper factory bolt. Place one of the RAM metric bolts through the upper slot of the mount, place a supplied spacer (plastic) over the bolt. Hold the RAM mount in place and thread the bolt through the factory curved clamp and into the handlebar cluster. Once it's started, you can rotate the RAM mount slightly to allow you to remove the lower factory bolt. Place the second RAM metric bolt through the lower slot in the RAM Mount, place the remaining plastic spacer over the bolt and rotate the RAM Mount back to line up the RAM metric bolt through the lower hole in the curved clamp and thread this bolt in place. Be careful when starting the bolts. The cluster is aluminum and the bolts are steel -- don't cross-thread 'em...!

Carefully tighten the bolts equally by tightening one slightly, then the other. Continue until the RAM Mount is snug.-- don't overtighten...! RAM supplies split lockwashers but I don't recommend them. The factory bolts do not have lock washers. Be very careful that you don't crush the plastic spacers. RAM originally supplied metal spacers, which IMO were far better. I guess the bean counters got them to $0.02 per set using plastic...!

This has taken much longer to explain that to do. If you have a friend helping you, you can remove both factory bolts at once while the friend holds the Cluster and curved clamp in place. Much faster...!

BTW, these RAM mounts are available with one or two 1" balls. I suggest that you get the two-ball Mount -- you never know what additional goody you want to hang on those RAM mounts -- they are very handy...!

Good Luck...!

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Look at your clutch and brake lever--it mounts in front on the metal bracket and yes the screws replace the oem screws

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's a good set up, mine was delivered yesterday and I installed it fairly quickly -- at least for me. I'm using it for my GoPro and I'm hoping to minimize the vibration that the windshield mount exhibited. I really liked the windshield mount with it's good looks and ease of mounting, just wish the GoPro had built in IS -- hope I didn't make a mistake buying the GoPro instead of a Contour.

I did try it this morning and had "good" results, hope to go out in another hour and move it just a little to see if I can get "excellent" results. I want it to be perfect for Rockies Gold :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your reply's :bow:I was looking at it waaaaaaaay to hard :shrug:
Like they told me in the military K.I.S.S, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID :coffee1:

Good lord Laen,
Could you possibly hang any thing else on your handle bars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts