GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

I'm going this Saturday to pick up my new to me (used) '03 Goldwing in Huntsville, AL (about 300 miles away). I currently have a Garmin 2610 mounted on my VTX 1300 using the RAM mount on my VTX's 1" handlebar. My question is: Will my 1" RAM mount fit on the Goldwing handlebar for the ride home? I plan on using the 12v car adapter for power.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mike, if the ram mount is attached to a round handlebar, the answer is no it will not fit the GL1800 handlebars. For power, the car adapter, will have to be wired to the battery terminals, unless there is already a cigarette lighter assy installed on the 1800 you are getting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dick for the quick answer. I'm hoping/assuming I'll have a cigarette adapter on the bike - a good question for the guy I'm buying it from. Without a clean mount I guess I'll be 'winging' it on the way home! :lol:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
All you need to pick up for the mount is a ram ball mount, hooks to the two screws on the control mount, either side....as for power, a power outlet is ok, but the MC hard wire and mount is best...maybe a store near you for the needed accessories?????

·
Registered
252 Posts
RAM Mount for GL1800

Mike,

What you will need is the Reservoir RAM mount with either single or double balls.

Hers are your options:

RAM-B-309-1U = Single ball RAM mount, or
RAM-B-309-6U = Double permanent balls,
RAM-B-309-2U = Double ball with a removable ball.

See below for application pictures:

You can see lots of picture of them mounted on the wing on my website at www.mountinginnovations.com

I have plenty in stock and will be glad to help you make the right decision.

Congrats on the wing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Klbj:
When the RAM mount is on the handlebar, THAT is called a reservoir mount? We need a better name for it. There is a mount that actually replaces the reservoir cap, but the iWay is far too heavy for that.

The one you show in the picture is the one I use.

Mike, you can get a cigar lighter connector for the left front pocket for about $12 with the proper connector already on it. Makes life simple. The iWay is mounted on the right-hand side on my bike and the wires are routed such that they are virtually invisible, underneath the triple tree. It's a close fit but it does work. At first, I just let the wires lay across the dash but that looked so tacky...

While you're in there, I suggest you install an audio line filter as well as a power line filter (alternator noise filter.) The power filter can be had at some auto supply houses. The audio line filter can be more difficult, but most electronic supply houses should have one. Don't bother with the Radio Trash one.

David M.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
David, he's installing a 2610, not an iWay so he won't need the power filter (certainly not for his temporary needs).

The 309-1 mount is officially described as a 'Motorcycle Handlebar Mount', but I find that this is sometimes confused with a U-Bolt mount used for round handlebar applications.

I normally refer to the 309 as a 'Reservoir Clamp Mount' to help make it clear that it's not to be confused with an aftermarket reservoir cover that can have a RAM ball attached to it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jon said:
David, he's installing a 2610, not an iWay so he won't need the power filter (certainly not for his temporary needs).

The 309-1 mount is officially described as a 'Motorcycle Handlebar Mount', but I find that this is sometimes confused with a U-Bolt mount used for round handlebar applications.

I normally refer to the 309 as a 'Reservoir Clamp Mount' to help make it clear that it's not to be confused with an aftermarket reservoir cover that can have a RAM ball attached to it.
Jon, I have the iWay500 and bought the 309 handlebar with single ball mount. I was going to temporarily wire it to the battery. You mentioned a "power filter." I was not aware that I would need that item. :? :? Please advise. Thanks. :)

Todd

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Todd, David recommended installing a power filter, but not every iWay installation requires a power filter, but almost every installation will need a GLI filter on the AUX audio connection. (I've never had to use a power filter on a Garmin installation, which is what the original post was about.)

Some units are more susceptible to noise on the power leads than others, but since you're going directly to the battery I would just wire it up and try it first. If you don't have a GLI filter and you find you need one, you can find one on my iWay page.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jon, thank you for the information. I obviously did not read David's post very carefully. :oops: Maybe I have become so accustomed to relying on the great information you and Barry always so generously provide that I got distracted. :roll: Sound like a victim don't I. :lol:

Anyway, thanks to both of you and the other posters for being so helpful as usual. :) I wonder if I might just be better to pay someone to do the work for me seeing as how I am so ignorant about these kinds of things. But, then I would "never" learn anything would I? :wink:

I appreciate your help. Looks like I will be placing an order.

Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts