GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RAM mount system (cradle, arm, base, etc) for my 2720 and on a ride recently, the 2720 unit starting "tilting" down after 30 or so miles on some back-roads. When I try to tilt it back up, it won't move unless I first loosen the twist knob on the "arm". This RAM mount system is less then 2 years old and has never had any problems before. I remove the "arm" and cradle assy after each ride, and have never had the slipping problem before. Do I need to clean my "balls" with something? (With all the PMS out there, I know that I'll get a lot of responses on this one.) I sent RAM the same question today, but with the MLK Jr holiday, they're probably closed until tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My ram mount with my 2610 also does this. I have changed arms with the same result. I have tightened it tight enough leave impressions in the ball. If I am careful enough to mount the arm in the same location to match the impressions it seems to be better. If a solution is found , I would also like to know it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I replaced the thumb knob with a stainless steel nylon lock nut. I can get it tighter and it would be much harder to get off by the wrong person.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I use the Ram key locking nut... its larger and I find you can get it tighter
I don't have any problems with any "slippage" with my Zumo mounted on the left side with the brackets that came with my GPS

cosmic

·
Registered
973 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the mating surfaces with Windex or rubbing alcohol? Perhaps it is just a build up of grime over time and needs to be cleaned. My mount is about a year old and I have had no trouble with it slipping so I'm interested to hear how this gets fixed in case mine starts slipping as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had some movement but managed to eliminate it by using a shorter RAM arm. I went from the 5" to a 2" and haven't had a problem since. I run a Zumo/XM and/or 276C.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ram mount slipage

You don't say but I am guessing the unit is mounted on the handle bar that would make it near impossible to keep a heavy unit stable.
A friend of mine had the 2610 & now a 2720 but has it mounted right behind the key and it never moves around. But there isn't he vibration and harseness of the road amplified thru it like there is with one mounted up on the handle bar.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I use RAM mounts on 3 bikes and have also experienced the slipping. Thanks for doing the post and I'll try some of the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have had a Ram mount on my 2720 for 4 years and about 300,000
miles, I've totaled 3 Wings in those years and moved the mounts
from one Wing to the other. 2 crashs were high speed very
hard crashs,1 was a very violent high side.The same mounts were
on all 3 Wings and now on my 1800. I'm using Ram mounts
on a Touratech clamping system. My Ram has never slipped
not one time,even in heavy hard crashs.

Heres a link to the Touratech http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/tt26.html

I don't think the Touratech clamp has anything to do with it, but I
thought I would just through it in this thread as food for thought.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
The 26XX and 27XX units are relatively big and heavy. When I used one on the bike with the long arm on my clutch master cyliner mounted Ram Ball, I fashioned a rubber wedge to fit the gap between the bottom of the arm and the top rear edge of the clutch MC cover that acted as rest for the mount arm when the GPS unit setted into my favored position. Worked great and was not noticable and also acted as sort of a cushion to help soften the ride for the GPS unit. My current unit, a Zumo 550, stays on the same mount because it is a lot lighter.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts