GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who wants to haul his Gold Wing from Austin, TX to Colorado in the bed of his pick up. He has a ramp that he used with his VTX1300, but I am not confident in its ability to safely accommodate the size and the weight of the Gold Wing.

Has anyone out there had any experience with pickup ramps? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
indadman,

this sounds like a pretty 'hicky' way of loading the bike,but this is how i do it. get a 2"x12"x 8 foot long board. Find a good ditch to back your pickup truck into. The best place to do this is a nearby state park. Loads of ditch possibilities,,and little to no traffic. Ride the bike to the state park,,have a follower in the pickup.
Back the pickup into the ditch ,,throw,,your 2x12 onto the tailgate. I have lots of times not even needed to use the board if you can find the 'perfect depth ditch'...:)
You should have very little rise at this point. ride the bike into the pickup,,and strap down at at least 4 points.
Throw the 2x12 next to the bike in the pu bed. Head to destination B,,and do the same procedure once you are at destination. Be careful backing the bike out,,,You should have an extra person unloading.
I hate using a trailer to haul an m/c, a long distance unless you are just doing an 'across town' haul.
this is the lean and mean way to haul without the hassle of a trailer.

bc

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Tell your friend to mind the coolant reservoir. Many have damaged it loading/unloading an 1800.

I have a friend who wants to haul his Gold Wing from Austin, TX to Colorado in the bed of his pick up. He has a ramp that he used with his VTX1300, but I am not confident in its ability to safely accommodate the size and the weight of the Gold Wing.

Has anyone out there had any experience with pickup ramps? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
The 1300 VTX is also a long bike and its weight is about 2/3 that of the GL18. If the ramp is rated for a half ton and truck cargo box is rated at least that, it should be OK. You really need a set of ramps so the supporting person has a place to stand while it is winched up and down. Its sort of spooky thing to do that way and either bike is heavy enough to crush you.

prs

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have watched people ride bikes up, and coast backward down, ramps of various types into pickup trucks. Was never my bike, but I almost had heart attack just watching. If Travis Pastrana was doing the riding, I'd feel a little more at ease, but otherwise ....

Oh, to answer your question, I've always used a 2x10 with the aluminum ramp ends on them to get onto and off of low utility trailers. I can't seem to find a source for the wrap around ramp ends though. sorry.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Want to make sure he does not have the rear wheel sitting on the tailgate. Straps are only rated for 250 punds of weight on the tailgate. If the tailgate cables break, there will be a lot of damage to the underside of the bike.
If you can hook up a trailer to the pick up. A UHAUL motorcycle trailer rents for $14.95 a day. Seems like a safer way to go. Think of Cost v. Benefit.:cool:

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/RatesTowing.aspx

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
What does your wing weigh mine is over 900 lbs, I dont think a 2 by anything is safe to carry that much weight. I have a friend that loads a trike in a ford pickup and he has a alum fold up ramp and then he puts a 2x12 in the center to hold the front tire since it carries a lot of weight.

The secret is to get al close to flat level as you can then you dont have to worry about dumping over when your feet cant touch.

We like to find a cycle dealer that has a drive up ramp or a farm dealer and use that. The honda dealer will allow you to put bike on their ramp and use lift to put it at pickup height and just ride on.

Don

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Ride it to Colorado. It is safer

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I use two 2x10's which are screwed together (side-by-side). ******* motorcycle ramp.

I have hauled a lot of bikes over the years in the bed of pickup trucks and many by purely precarious means and (so far) have emerged unscathed.
In that time, I have also seen a lot of unfortunate accidents during the loading and unloading process. The only good thing about that is the fact that they happened to someone else.

Several years ago, we purchased a Featherlite aluminum trailer 4 1/2' x 8' with torsion suspension and built-in ramp on the back. We then installed a pro-chock in the front. It's a one-man operation, for sure. I'll never go back to loading them into the back of pickup trucks for the large bikes.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Use side ramp or this will happen !
I've seen a similar video of an attempt to load a Goldwing. Rear wheel spun out on the ramp and stopped dead. Rider and bike fell over sideways with the Wing falling 2-3' and landing on it's side. Not pretty. There were even spotters on both sides of the ramp, but of course they could do nothing once that 900+ lbs started tipping to one side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like one person said use a U Haul Motorcycle trailer, not expensive and they work great, just brought a Yamaha Royal Star Venture back to Tx from Illlinois using one, easy to load and unload. Why take a chance with an expensive bike?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a ramp that I bought from Discount Ramps and it works great. (Hooter's girls NOT included !:shrug:)

It has the main ramp that is a double one and the outside ramps are seperate but I have driven my wing onto my F-150 lots of times by myself with out any problems at all. My feet touch the side ramps all the way up and down while loading.

The main ramp is good for 1500# and each of the side ramps are good for 750# plus they have a hump built into them so you don't scrape the bottom of the bike.

I use a piece of wood to bridge the gap on the tailgate just for safety. The wings rear tire sits just ahead of the hinge of the tailgate. I have driven thousands of miles with the wing loaded like this and have had absolutely no problems.

I think the tailgate is good for a lot more that 250# ! That's about what I weigh and I have set on that gate with other people many times.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I bought my ramps from 'discount ramps' also.
They look just like in team 5150's post. These pics are when I brought her home...

No Hooters around,... sorry! :shrug:
Good Ramps, still have 'em. Too bad your not closer. I'd loan them to ya.
thecruiser

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Are those straps connected to the handle bars. :eek:4: :popcorn:

I bought my ramps from 'discount ramps' also.
They look just like in team 5150's post. These pics are when I brought her home...

No Hooters around,... sorry! :shrug:
Good Ramps, still have 'em. Too bad your not closer. I'd loan them to ya.
thecruiser

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another vote for discount ramps.

I have loaded my BMW, my Harley and my Wing (separate times dummy) in the back of my F150.

Wide ramp. Rated for way more than the bike weighs.

Low angle of approach for easy loading and you can keep your feet down the entire way up.

Can't beat them for the price or the convenience.

Unless you buy a really nice trailer...

Or rent one for dirt cheap from U-Haul...

But, if you are going to make an investment in easy hauling, get the ramps.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Soft ties to the tripple tree and connect the back to the hitch if you have one it makes it easy and no way can you get near the paint.... D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts