GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my luck, get a new set of tires and ran over something in the road. It stuck in the tire, about 3/8 long and 3/16 dia. Pulled it out, air didn't leak. Of course it did leave a place in the tire where it once was. If it leaked, I would just replace the tire, but since it didn't leak, what would you do? It is a Bridgestone tire with about 2500 miles on them. Not sure whether to replace it or run it. It always seems to happen to the new tires, like windshields, drive a car for a long time with a cracked windshield, get a new one, and sure enough it will have a crack in it real soon.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
My .02 opinion. I'm a cheap SOB, and I hate wasting money or paying the big bucks for something and not getting what I consider my money's worth out of it. A couple of hundred bucks for a tire is something I hate to part with, that's worth a couple of days of work for me.

BUUUTTT, a couple of days of work is worth more to me than not working for the rest of my life because of a tire failure at speed.

Take a good look at the location of the puncture. Is it at a thick tread point? Did the object get to the cords or the base wrap material?

We do some work for Cooper Tires. Per one of their tire guru's, tires can lose a chunk out the outer rubber casing (what we see as the "tread section") with no impact on the safety or longevity of the tire. An object imbedded into the tire does not remove material, it displaces it. As long as the displacement or removal is relatively small and did not go to the belt/sidewall area, you are fine. Obviously monitor the area and look for any signs of bulging or enlarging of the impact area.

My opinion/caveat - if at any time you are unsure of the safety or reliability of your tires, you should replace them. I just changed the tires on the cage because of some excessive tire scrubbing on the inside edge of one of them. Plenty of tread left, but I considered it a safety issue.

As I said earlier, a couple of days of lost wages is pittance compared to what could be.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my BMW. I wondered how deep the hole was, so I pushed a tread depth indicator in and found that it was deep and felt spongy.

A light push with my thumb caused the point of the indicator to go on through the tire, letting the air out.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
If I was happy with it after a visual inspection, I'd run it. Of course I'd start slow, put the tire under some hard left-right-left turns (to try and stress the tire) and gradually work up from there. If all was good, I'd run it until replacement time.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If I was happy with it after a visual inspection, I'd run it. Of course I'd start slow, put the tire under some hard left-right-left turns (to try and stress the tire) and gradually work up from there. If all was good, I'd run it until replacement time.
:agree:I too am cheap and would run it if it didn't leak!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
think I would take it off and have it checked from the inside out.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Until I see the infected area, it's hard to comment on replacement or not.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
1800 puncture also

I too have recently run over a nail on my relatively new tires (rear). I have approximately 3000 miles and picked up a nail right in the tread pattern (water dispursement trough), no side wall damage but through and through the patch area. Brought it to the dealer and they put a plug in it from the inside. Rode it into the mountains and on the interstates and it seemed to work fine (although I thought about it all day).

I spoke to the tire rep (hoping to get a brake on a new tire but no such luck) and he of course recomended I replace the tire for the following reasons. He said that once the cords wre punctured that the tire would lose it's speed rating. He also said that the tire itself under cornering stresses could possibly distort unatually again due to the cords having been severed even minutely by the puncture and plug.

I have to say I also am cheap and am currently riding with the plug. However I never have it out of my mind that there is a plug in the tire and I worry about it while riding, especially as I ride two up alot. So even though it may be safe I think I will spend the money and put a new shoe on just for peace of mind. I might just wait for the forth of July sale though!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:Sounds like a plan.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
when I bought my '12 They offered and I got tire insurance. as long as there is 3/32 tread, if I run over a nail or anything, even a curb; they will replace the tire (and wheel if needed). It includes towing too. It cost a bit but I just know I will run over a nail when the tires get close to replacement time!! hehe
oh and they replace kind for kind, if you have avon then that is what goes back..and so on

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to say I also am cheap and am currently riding with the plug. However I never have it out of my mind that there is a plug in the tire and I worry about it while riding, especially as I ride two up alot.
I think the above says it all. I ride for the love of riding. If I am worrying about the safety of my ride then I'm not enjoying it.

I would replace the tire and be a happy/content and poorer rider!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the above says it all. I ride for the love of riding. If I am worrying about the safety of my ride then I'm not enjoying it.

I would replace the tire and be a happy/content and poorer rider!
:agree: That tire is the only thing between you and the road

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just my luck, get a new set of tires and ran over something in the road. It stuck in the tire, about 3/8 long and 3/16 dia. Pulled it out, air didn't leak. Of course it did leave a place in the tire where it once was. If it leaked, I would just replace the tire, but since it didn't leak, what would you do? It is a Bridgestone tire with about 2500 miles on them. Not sure whether to replace it or run it. It always seems to happen to the new tires, like windshields, drive a car for a long time with a cracked windshield, get a new one, and sure enough it will have a crack in it real soon.
Eyes checked lately would be my first thought. Especially after multipal times. Perhaps not spelled corenjtly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to go ahead and replace it. l don't want to be running down the road thinking about it. I got a guy that will change the tire for 196.00 plus tax, new Bridgestone mounted and dyna beads installed.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I would replace it with a truck tire retread

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I have lanced just about every rear tire I have had on all my bikes over the last 20 years - always within the first thousand miles.

Punch through, hone it out, plug it with sticky rope and call it done. You can find everything you need in a compact little kit at walmart or your favorite auto parts store for less than $20. It also fits perfectly in the space in the trunk once occupied by the useless CD changer and CB.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Well if it was me, I'd ditch that tire. I love my wife too much to do anything else. I figure her life is worth slighty more than a couple hundred bucks. JMHO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts