GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be touring the Black Hills in mid June, and am looking for a reasonably priced motel as a base of operations. I see there are lots of choices, so personal recomendations are the order of the day. We will trailer the bike ( wife can not tolerate long road stretches) from Rochester, NY, and do day trips from here. Then on to Yellowstone on the bike, if weather permits. I am also looking for a place to leave truck and trailer until we are ready to head back east, perhaps an additional week or two.

·
Registered
133 Posts
June 2007, we stayed at Super 8 in Rapid City. Super 8's around here are very nice, but the one we stayed in RC, we would not stay again. It's a older motel and wasn't clean.
Super 8 Rapid City Rushmore Rd
2520 Tower Rd
US Hwy 16
Rapid City, SD 57701 US
Stayed at one while visitng Wall Drugs, and that one was very nice. Chances one takes.

We now stay at Comfort Inn, or other by Choice Hotels.

Have fun and don't forget to ride the Needle Highway. Or something like that.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We stayed at the Knights Inn and they were very accomodating. Some guys had trailers and RV's parked thru out our stay and there were no issues. It's not a Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn, but it was clean, comfortable, centrally located, and "cheap". Our stay was 2 years ago so things might have changed, but when we go back we'll check it out again.

Don't forget the night shows at both Crazy Horse and Rushmore:lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I stayed in Custer. There are several inexpensive motels that seem very MC friendly. It puts you near several of the more scenic views. Your close to Custer state park, needles highway, and iron mountain road. (I recommend them) It's also close to seveal other small tourist towns and other worthwhile scenic roads and locations. Close to deadwood (disapointing itself) Rapid city is also pretty close and there are always places to stay as well. You could spend several days in and around this area and not be disapointed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another place we always stay is just outside of Deadwood called the Black Hills Inn. Trolley runs into Deadwood every 20 minutes. Is biker friendly with cleaning towels at all entrances. Rooms are reasonable at about $54 a night. Rooms are a little small but has a nice pool and porch. You can do almost all of the Black Hills without even going into Deadwood. Local owned.

Have fun on your trip
Bill

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
We lived in Black Hawk (half way between Rapid City & Sturgis) from 08/94 - 09/99 and loved it. The Black Hills area of South Dakota is one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived. Winters and summers can be severe and moderate (all w/i 24 hours), but it has some of the absolute best motorcycling roads and scenery in America. Naturally, prices go up on everything in the summer, and peak during the 4 weeks of the Sturgis rally, but mighty fine people and virtually no litter on the roadsides. If it's paved, ride any road around; it'll end up going somewhere.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I like staying in Deadwood (expensive generally) and Keystone, Hill City, or Custer. We are going up the last weekend in June and will be staying at the Lantern Inn in Hill City. Convenient and nice folks run the place. Just remodeled also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts