GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAT Ride 2014, 3500 miles in 3.5 days. Who is up for the challenge and the fun? I know 3500 miles in 3.5 days sounds like a lot of riding, it is, but we had a blast last year riding it with a merry little band and some great friendships were born.

Here is last year's RAT ride http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?341530-The-Ride-Around-Texas

Easter comes later this year, April 20. Last year it was March 31. So I am thinking April 16-19, because most people get good Friday off work.

The 2013 RAT ride started on Wednesday March 27 5am in Sherman (for the BBBD's of North Texas, 1pm in Jasper for the LWBD's and trailer queens of South Texas) and finished Saturday March 30 12pm for the BBBD's and 8pm for the LWBD's and trailer queens.

So since we are nearing the middle of December now is the time to start planning to see who would like to ride.

I got my certificate last year. The RAT ride will qualify you for the RAT Certificate, SS1000 and a BB1500. This year I am doing it just for fun so I don't have to mess with all that paperwork.

We call this the flower sniffing RAT, because with a group of more than 4 bikes, it would be almost impossible to finish under the 70 hours or the RAT Insanity at the IBA calls it.

Glen (Glockjock) was our coach and mentor last year and I hope he can make it again this year if his picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road does not interfere:joke:

BTW: BBBD's stands for Big Bad Biker Dudes; LWBD's stands for Little Wimpy Biker Dudes. The Texas gl1800riders.com have 2 Texas outlaw biker Goldwing chapters (or 1%er's). :joke::tongue:

Also, try not to start another RAT ride thread because it becomes confusing.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have been wanting to do this ride since GlockJock did his, passing thru my area! If things work out ie Crappie Fishing and BlueBonnet ride, craps out, I'm game.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am in again.

Just to help curb some of the typical questions that usually come up on these types of rides.

Plan on eating only one sit down meal per day. That may be lunch or dinner or somewhere in between. Eat light. The carbs will make your stamina crash after a couple of hours.

Pack drinks and snacks that you can eat on the fly. Those big juicy apples look good in the store but are hard as hell to eat through a full face helmet. Fruits, nuts, trail mix, boiled eggs are all good choices.

There is no way to plan exactly where you will be stopping each night so making Hotel reservations in advance is not an option.

When you do get to sleep don't plan on getting more than about 5 hours per night.

There are certain milestones that you must make each day to insure you will not be riding an undesirable area at an undesirable time of day like the river road from LaJitas up to Presidio after dark. For example if we pick up some West Texas riders mid way through our RAT there may be some additional planning on their part as far as daily milestones to make sure their RAT is a success.

Be prepared for any type of weather and to be riding in it. Be prepared to ride fill up to fill up. Be prepared for 10 minute maximum fuel stops. Be prepared to have a lot of fun!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m in!! Can’twait!! Hopefully all of last year’sgroup will go again this year!! I haveone suggestion. Try to keep the groupssmall. And have multiple groups. Thegroups are responsible for their group basically and can be within a fewminutes of each other on the road. I’mnot suggesting anyone be left out, just remember it’s faster refueling 6 bikesvs. 20 bikes. It dramatically increases your refueling time and over three daysit really adds up!!!! But this only mattersto those going for IBA certifications. Otherthan that, let’s roll baby!!!!

Steve
Proud member of the RAT PACK 2013

·
SuperModerator
3,368 Posts
My crystal ball is sorta cloudy, but I plan on riding. I've put my wife on aluminum can patrol, so maybe she can stall the bill collectors in my absense.

Last year's ride was so enjoyable (I think "epic" was the official description) that I want to do it again. I had done two RAT's previously in 2009 and 2010 in 79 hours and 65 hours respectively, and the RAT has become a personal tradition of sorts. You get to see practically every type of terrain Texas offers, and during a "flower-sniffin'" ride you are able to slow down and enjoy the scenery. That is, unless you are trying to keep up with the rabbit!:joke:

Lots of good advice offered here already by those who have been there, done that. These guys have walked the walk, and I'm proud to have ridden with them and the two Brians. (Hand and Skeeter) One thing that really impressed me about our merry 6-pack was that even though we were all mostly strangers and there were many riding styles and personalities, everybody blended well and grinned throughout the 80+ hours and 3200 miles. I was amazed. Heck, I can't even hold a 6 hour family reunion with having to call the police, but these strangers managed to hang together and smile despite adverse conditions and sore butts.

Be prepared for an amazing show of support from the forum members who will vicariously ride with you through the forum posts, and others who will join in for a short spell on various portions of the ride. I personally was overwhelmed by support we received.

If you're considering this ride, I strongly suggest you follow Mister K's link to last year's RAT, and read all the way through. There is a LOT of valuable information there buried within the good-natured ribbings by a band of ax-murderers. You should ignore the stuff by Mister K as he was out on a pass from the MHMR, but the postings by that Glockjock fella were clear, concise, informative, and should be preserved as a "sticky" for future RAT riders.

I hope to see all of last years RAT Pack, and as many newcomers as can make it. Yeah, it's an epic ride.

Glen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Loooong way away yet

Might like to go, but too far out to plan yet. Ill keep up with the posts.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sounds like a nice 2 week trip to me. Stop and smell the flowers, check out historical sites, check out local eateries, get a good nights sleep every night. I don't need a certificate that says I tortured my body to earn it.

That is to say, I won't be joining you. I hope you have some time to have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I'm In ... I Think

All the dates are blocked on my calendar. Not just an evening run to the valley for me this time! And, I might have my honey along. She won't let her bike get out of town that far without her on board.

However, that is only three weeks before one of our boys ties the knot, finally marrying the professional model he's been dating for the past 5 years! I am betting we will need a good break from all the style and etiquette training required between now and May 10th.

Maybe I'll see if the son's father-in-law-to-be wants to join us. I am betting he will want to get the heck out of town for a few days as well. He rides an HD now, but we already have him shopping for a Wing!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Where will the starting point be. I would really like to do this
thomas
Last year 3 of us started at 5AM in Sherman. We picked up one more near Texarkana and the final 2 in Jasper. As I mentioned above depending on the quantity of riders there may need to be additional planning to make everyone's ride a success. So far this year I see a couple more from the DFW area and a couple more from the Houston area. I don't recognize any input from the Panhandle group yet but they all expressed interest last year.(They will do anything to find a road with a curve in it). As the date gets closer we will have a better idea of how many confirmed riders there will be and where will be the easiest place for everyone to join the pack.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Running Strat

thomas
Each of us will have our own start point and time depending on where we live around Texas, on or near the RAT loop. You are on the route.

A lot of group planning to go, but suspect your "official" start location and time will be at the gas station near your home since you live right on the RAT loop. The ideas is to time your departure to catch/meet up with the Dallas area boys in Sherman. Others will join in later. I won't jump in until south of Houston. When we get back around to Canadian you are "done" and I will still have ... miles to go before I rest!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I got excited with the thought I would get to participate in this RAT until I saw that it coincides with our trip to Japan to see our daughter and her fam. Maybe 2015 will work out. Who was it that arranged Easter 2014 to occur during cherry blossom time?

·
SuperModerator
3,368 Posts
thomas

Hope you make it. You've shown up for moral support on two of my RATS (2010 with Texan Trail and 2013 with the Rat Pack) so it it would be befitting for you to ride the whole route. By the way, the scenery around Canadian is beautiful.

Both Dosxx and IronHorse1800 are exactly right. You can start from pretty much anywhere on the route and just catch the pack as they come rolling through, or time your ride to arrive at their starting point at the same time they leave. In your case it is about 5 hours from Canadian to Sherman, so you would have to leave about midnight to be at Sherman at the 5:00 AM starting time. That could easily make a 24 hour day for you! You might consider riding on down to Sherman the night before to leave with them at 5:00 AM. The downside is that that would might mean you'd have to ride all the way to Sherman to finish the ride if you wish to make it an official rride complete with the certificate.

That's what I may do myself if I'm the only one leaving from my area. Last year the Skeeter and I met the pack as they blasted through Jasper, so our ride didn't officially begin until they got to Jasper. That has both pros and cons, but next year I think I might just ride on up to Sherman the night before the start so I can be on the same clock as the main group.

Hoss, you and your wife could pick us up either at the Bolivar Ferry, or somewhere after Galveston. I believe you said that we had actually passed pretty close to your house after we left Galveston.

Joe, you're right about the Panhandle guys. I'll PM a couple of them and make sure they've seen this thread.

Glen

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thinking about if I can do the RAT ride. That I would just ride to Sherman. And leave from there with everyone. The problem with leaving at midnight to get to Sherman at 5 . I would probbly run over Bigfoot . Some where along the way. I will just have to wait and see.
thomas

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thinking about if I can do the RAT ride. That I would just ride to Sherman. And leave from there with everyone. The problem with leaving at midnight to get to Sherman at 5 . I would probbly run over Bigfoot . Some where along the way. I will just have to wait and see.
thomas
Roy if I were you I would split a room with Glen the night before blast off in Sherman. That way you could get some sleep. Last year the first day leg for the DFW guys was a little over 1200 miles in 21 hours and it was tough. We did not stop until we hit Rio Grande City but that made for a pretty easy 750 mile second day leg. We had planned it that way to make sure we had daylight for our pass up the river road to Presidio. We made it just in time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like I've told "special bottled water from Mexico" I'm considering making this ride but I would begin it in Kermit & meet you guys in Sherman or Texarkana area as you are starting out. Going to have to figure the mileage & timing to those places from Kermit.

The wife is considering having me committed to Las Vegas, New Mexico (where New Mexico's mental hospital is) and I've already told her she's going to have to meet us at the rest stop east of Guadalupe National Park with Gasoline, Pecans & other goodies. She gave me a real weird look.

I read all those postings about previous rides and you're right, that guy Glockjock is liberal with those pearls of wisdom. Mister K ????? LOL!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I've told "special bottled water from Mexico" I'm considering making this ride but I would begin it in Kermit & meet you guys in Sherman or Texarkana area as you are starting out. Going to have to figure the mileage & timing to those places from Kermit.

The wife is considering having me committed to Las Vegas, New Mexico (where New Mexico's mental hospital is) and I've already told her she's going to have to meet us at the rest stop east of Guadalupe National Park with Gasoline, Pecans & other goodies. She gave me a real weird look.

I read all those postings about previous rides and you're right, that guy Glockjock is liberal with those pearls of wisdom. Mister K ????? LOL!
I still remember trying to follow you to Kermit, thanks to your generosity in bringing us some gas outside of quadalupe park. I hope you can make it.

If I remember correctly, we left Kermit at around 12:30 pm, made it to perrington that night in the upper east panhandle about 12:30am, Then it was about 5 hours to Sherman. that would be about 18 hours. That would be a good first day of your rat ride. Putting you in Sherman around midnight, ready to go again about 5 am. If you left Kermit at 6 am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 192 Posts