GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Started to ride today, and a big honkin rat scurried from under the bike. Wife lifted the trunk lid and found a bunch of baby rats in our stuff. Im glad that she found it so I did not scream like a little girl. How do they enter the trunk and it is preventable in the future. Thanks, Dale :roll:

Update: 9/21/06 Found the mice entering the trunk through the hole that the helment lock latch. "The one that will not stay in place." The hole is about the size of a dime.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
It lends a whole new meaning to the term.....Rat Bike :lol:

G

·
Dang dude, how long has it been since your rode that Wing? :shock:

I would take everything out of the trunk, including the cover for the CD/CB. Somewhere you have a hole large enough for the rodents to enter. They may have even chewed their way in.

Once you get the bike clear, place a small can of moth balls under the bike. Moth Balls will keep pretty much all mammals away. I had a cat problem. Damn thing thought my bike was it's place to sleep at night. I put Moth Balls under the bike and no more cat problem.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You might want to take a look under the seat.I had mice problems such as stated.They chewed my antenae wire and the wires to the wife's helmet.....grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The best solution I have found is to RIDE IT EVERY DAY!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aren't you glad he/she ran out in the garage as apposed to while you were going down the supper slab. Imagine the commotion as a rat claws it's way up the side of your bike into your wife's lap at 70 mph!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Hoosier Wing said:
I think they can get in through a 1/2 inch hole, mice can get in in less than dime size.
If they can get their head through, the rest of the body can follow.

But, he said:
" ...and a big honkin rat scurried from under the bike."

Of course, he really scared. He almost screamed like a girl. :shock:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Had a rat camping out in my minivan. Ate through the windshield washer bottle ($100) Another one chewed through the AC compressor hose and met his demise with a Freon blast ($600). Came into the kitchen one morning and there are dried beans all over the floor. Looked up. They were coming from a big (2 gallon or so) glass jar with these dried beans arranged in decorative layers. This was heavy glass jar with a big cork in it. As I am climbing the ladder to check it out, I am wondering how in the heck this rat put the cork back in the hole. :lol:

Turns out, this rat had chewed through a solid glass jar. Had chewed a 2" hole in glass!!! Best I could figure he must have pecked on it with his buck teeth like a woodpecker until it chipped enough he could chew on it. Caught two nights later with some peanut butter and oatmeal. Roof rat. They are as big as squirrels.

Better check your airbox too. They don't need to chew to get in there as the photo on one of the threads about air cleaners showed. The airbox is a nice cozy rat nest.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My pit bull kills and eats mice, and moles, and gophers, and wet-dry vacs. Want to borrow him?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
My pit bull kills and eats mice, and moles, and gophers, and wet-dry vacs. Want to borrow him?
If I ever stop by to visit you, remind me to leave my shop vac at home... and to park my Wing down the street at the neighbors house. :lol:

G

·
Rats will chew on rubber, so check your wires and gromets for entry points. Also, some drill holes under CD/CB area to let the moisture out. If a rat found the hole it would probably enlarge it.

Pat

·
Registered
403 Posts
Moth balls ??? Isn't that painful for the moths???? :oops: :oops: Sorry.....I couldn't help myself.......but they really do work...... :lol: ...joy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never had any meeces in any of my motorcycles, but did find evidence of a nest in the underseat storage box of my Grizzly ATV early this year. Our attack cat croaked last fall, and the little chewers thought they could move into the barn where the Grizz is parked. Baited mechanical traps cleaned them out. Now I keep a sheet of Bounce in that storage compartment. They don't like that smell either.

I found that peanut butter works best in those snapper traps. One time, I didn't have any cheese or peanut butter, so I cut out a picture of a piece of cheese and used that. IT WORKED! Caught a picture of a mouse. :D :D

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Pets are great for keeping the varmits away!

I have a 13 year old Black Lab mix that just loves to hunt anything that makes the mistake of coming into HER backyard.

Rats, Possum (Lots of Possums), Birds, even a Raccoon once. How do I know what she catches you ask?? She seems to be compeled to drop whatever she recently killed at my feet (or my wife's feet) to show what a "Good Dog" she has been :!: :lol:

Getting rid of as many fruit trees as possible seems to help reduce the problem quite a bit for me. No problem with the bikes so far, but rats did get into the wiring harness of my 1958 Ford Ranchero, (one more thing to replace during the restoration...) :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts