GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of my '07 GL1800. There is a OEM cover which loops below the front of the engine and has cutouts for fog lights on either side. Not sure what it's called. I've been noticing a rattle when I go over rough pavement, and finally traced it to this cover or shroud:wrong:. It is flexing and hitting something behind it. All the bolts are tight.

Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix:?:?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It's just a plastic cowel, take it off and see if a rock or a bolt is in there rattling around creating the noise you're hearing.:cool:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Also look above it. There are plastic pieces behind the fork tubes that are held on by push pins. They are almost impossible to get back in if taken apart. Both of my wings have had rattles from up in there. Push pins are evil!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'll tear into it tomorrow and post the results.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Check your fender. It seems that the "sprung" area of your front cowl would be less likely to be making a noise and the "unsprung" front fender would be more likely. Just offering suggestions.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
check the bolts there are long ones and short ones if you have a long one in a short hole you will have a rattle
check fender and cowl

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I agree with Waldo. Had the same issue on my '03...it sure sounded like it was coming from the front cowl but turned out to be the fender.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
check the bolts there are long ones and short ones if you have a long one in a short hole you will have a rattle
check fender and cowl

A friend with an 04 had this exact symptom. One of the 4 front Cowl bolts was missing! The whole cowl was rattling whenever he went over a bump. It sounded worse that what it was. Made him think his front suspension was broken...:agree:

The missing bolt is $5 and went under the cylinder head down almost at the bottom of the cowl near where the engine guards go around the valve cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found IT!

Got under the bike and was ready to pull the cowl, but first tried flexing it with my hand. It squeaks, and if you thump it, it rattles against the lower engine cover where they lap - not near the bolts, but in at the center bottom, where there is no fastener. I don't think I can adjust this out, so may have to live with it:frown:.

At least there were no loose parts or missing bolts.

Thanks for all the good suggestions:thumbup:!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try placing pice of foam rubber tape there. The most common use I have for it is between ta truck bend and a bed cover. will cusion and take noise out some times a cheep fix if it bothers you. sound like it would be hidden so only you will know it there. Shame as much as Gold wings cost they are not perfect but close to it.
Bob

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Have you ever removed the cowl? I'm wondering if maybe something isn't aligned correctly. I've never had a rattle in mine and after we put the bolt back in my friends 04, his rides quiet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts