GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Goldwing sounds and runs amazing, EXCEPT when I really get on it (in any gear)> It sounds like a loose belly pan or something (only it doesn't have an aftermarket one). It's like a metallic rattle or vibration of some sort. Smooth, even acceleration does not produce the sound. Any ideas? This is my first Goldwing, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Year might help more.But I would check the L and R Exhaust shields just below and slightly aft of your foot pegs. They should have little rubber pieces attached where the attach to the frame points.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Retired60mech, thanks for the tip. It's a 2006, sorry. If the little rubber pieces are missing, is there a part number for something like that or just any rubber separating the shield from the exhaust will do? That sounds like the first thing I'll check on it as that makes the most sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murgie, I don't think so, but I won't rule it out. It sounds more like a loose exhaust shield as mentioned previously by Retired60mech.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
My thoughts:
- is this a 2-whl or trike ???
- pre-ignition, try premium fuel !!!
- are the exhaust shields installed correctly, and are any non-OEM ???
- are any of the forward muffler shield's welds loose (usually the right side lower brakes first) ???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GoldWingrGreg, it's a 2-wheel. I just filled up on premium fuel yesterday (had about 1/3 tank of the previous fuel when I filled it up, and it made no difference in the sound) The exhaust shield on the left side seems as though it is metal on metal without any of the rubber pieces mentioned by Retired60mech. Not at home at the moment so I cannot look and verify any of the muffler shield's welds.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My sons 2003 had/has the same noise.
I think he said it was a rattling heat shield --
But he did find it and somehow fixed it...
I rode it one day to try to figure it out for him --
It is related to the hard acceleration .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't think that you mentioned at what RPM this is happening. Lugging the engine makes all kinds of noise when you accelerate hard.

Need to keep RPMs up for best engine performance.

Barney

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barney Biker 1, it's the same sound across all RM ranges in all gears. Very consistent. It doesn't happen if I don't get on it in the throttle. Super smooth acceleration (slow acceleration) does not produce the sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts