GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with the leather on their RDL seat peeling? I have less than 5k miles on the seat most of the leather on the stitches and corners are peeling. Additionally, nothing is rubbing on these corner areas…
Hood Automotive design Grille Grey Automotive lighting

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
781 Posts
Russell Day Long seats; I've had no problem with the two I've had made.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Be careful what you use on the seat. Only use products made specifically for leather. Some treatments use petroleum products which may break the bond between the leather and substrate.
I agree that this looks like bonded leather.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Seems strange. I had a leather RDL for 5 yr and it was on the bike when I bought it so am not sure of its age. When I sold the bike it was still perfect. And I definitely used it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you know its leather for sure ? Did you have the seat modified or someone else had it done before you bought the bike ? It certainly does not look like leather.
Send RDL a photo and see what they say ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have to agree, that is NOT a genuine leather you got there.

Might want to check your warranty and make sure you're using manufacturer recommended cleaning product, otherwise the warranty is voided.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the leather on their RDL seat peeling? I have less than 5k miles on the seat most of the leather on the stitches and corners are peeling. Additionally, nothing is rubbing on these corner areas… View attachment 405360
No way that is leather, did you buy a used seat?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I paid $1500 ish in February from RDL shipped it to them and got it back two weeks later..I was on the waiting list for 4 months…I also got the back seat the full rain cover and the RDL backrest and leather pouch option. I’m not very happy it was suppose to be full leather and NOT whatever this cheap wanna be material is… I sent them an email yesterday as I have been motorcycle camping on the Goldwing for a week but have not received a reply. I plan on calling in the next few days. The seat is super comfortable but poor material quality.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Double-check your build sheet to make sure your choice of material was marked correctly. As many have mentioned, that sure is not a leather seat.

Reactions: $Honda750!

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
864 Posts
It is leather, here is my build sheet. View attachment 405402
OUCH! that is some big bill for what you got. I hope that isn't what RDL calls leather, maybe the tech used the wrong material? Whatever material it is, it should certainly hold up much longer than yours has. Good luck in getting the problem resolved, THEIR reputation is at stake here. 🤔

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wonder if that is some kinda coating on the leather, maybe to seal out water. In any case, whatever it is, it's letting go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the leather on their RDL seat peeling? I have less than 5k miles on the seat most of the leather on the stitches and corners are peeling. Additionally, nothing is rubbing on these corner areas… View attachment 405360
I have an office chair doing the same thing over most of the surface. It felt like leather when new but I now realize it is pleather which is synthetic it has been indoors and never had any chemicals used on it.
I believe it’s an age related material failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts