GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing DCT Tour, 2018 BMW R1200 GSA, 2016 BMW K1600GTL
132 Posts
I had the same issue with a Corbin seat and they refused to do anything about it. I am sure you will have better luck with RDL. I have had 4 of their sears and never an issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It really looks like pleather. I’ve never seen leather do this..it’s actually cracking on the side and peeling on the top of the seat stitches as well…it’s like the chicken sandwich I ate in Custer SD two days ago…about 20 years old:)

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Google "bonded leather".

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m guessing they will stand behind their product. Like any warranty it’s all at your inconvenience.
Yea I am wondering who is going to have to pay the shipping bill on this. RDL charged him $121 shipping on the original build sheet......OUCH!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Never through someone under the bus until you get no satisfaction, I am sitting on a shower remodel that is 90 days old they are still working trying to fix the mess they maid if they don't then I will call names.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
It is leather, here is my build sheet. View attachment 405402
Hopefully, they make it right. The only thing is you will be shipping it back and waiting for it to return to you. I have had my RDL since January and no issues at all. I usually have mine in the garage unless traveling then I use a half cover overnight. I have used the rain cover once but it's readily available on the pillion seat covered with cargo netting. Do keep us informed on the interaction with RDL.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The seat builder b

RDL doesn't use bonded leather, the OP has vinyl
If you look at the attached build sheet in the above chain you will see I paid for leather to the tune of $1800 and it’s pleather at best…my Goldwing is kept in a climate controlled garage so no excess heat, humidity or cold.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If you look at the attached build sheet in the above chain you will see I paid for leather to the tune of $1800 and it’s pleather at best…my Goldwing is kept in a climate controlled garage so no excess heat, humidity or cold.
I can see you paid for leather, you didn't receive leather you have vinyl and not a very good one at that. If you asked RDL for leather color samples you would see there is no backing on it. If you had any other leather work done you can check the edges where possible to make sure it is leather.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I can see you paid for leather, you didn't receive leather you have vinyl and not a very good one at that. If you asked RDL for leather color samples you would see there is no backing on it. If you had any other leather work done you can check the edges where possible to make sure it is leather.
Thanks for the tip. I will contact Russel Cycle Products on Monday morning and go from there.....I hope they pay for shipping to them since they not only used the wrong material but inferior material at that.

·
Vendor
20,252 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the leather on their RDL seat peeling? I have less than 5k miles on the seat most of the leather on the stitches and corners are peeling. Additionally, nothing is rubbing on these corner areas
It looks like they took the hide from a defective cow !!!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will contact Russel Cycle Products on Monday morning and go from there.....I hope they pay for shipping to them since they not only used the wrong material but inferior material at that.
@Jhoss Be sure and send them photos of the entire seat with a focus on the defective area.

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Check the fine print...it may say "leather seating surfaces". That doesn't mean ALL leather.

Reactions: Kenichi and Red

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Why don't you call the vendor and explain what you are experiencing and give the vendor a chance to respond. Rather than complaining and making an issue in a public forum before you even attempt to contact the vendor.
As stated in the previous chain, I have reached out via email and received no response and I was unavailable to call as it was the weekend. My original post was asking if anyone else experienced this and I was not complaining but asking a question. Giving them the chance to make it right does not change the fact they screwed me out of what I paid for and even if they used the wrong material and it was vinyl then it was an inferior product. I asked, here, on this forum, because most people choose vinyl and the problem would be known to this community. You, sir are jumping to conclusions. When you can show me a receipt for $1889 you spent on a seat and got a crappy product instead, I’m sure you would at least ask this forum if it’s normal to everyone else who ordered one…

21 - 40 of 76 Posts